4.18 Distraction

I slowly opened one eye as I inched my head ever so slightly to the side. To my relief, Bennett was still sound asleep with his arm wrapped tightly around my waist.

Carefully, I plucked his hand from me as I tiptoed out of bed. Once I heard stirring, I froze to the spot as I looked back at him. He appeared to still be asleep for now, so I shouldn't waste another second.

As I carefully approached the wardrobe my eyes caught wind of Bennett's trousers' that were draped over a nearby chair. Quietly, I reached into the pocket and fished out the key to the cellar.

If he notices that it's missing, I'll have hell to pay for. So, let's just hope my distraction can prove adequate for the time being.

Steadily making my way back towards the wardrobe, I gently pulled out the lower drawer. Inside was the untouched Olive dish from last night. God, I hate olives...

I darted my eyes back towards Bennett quickly to ensure he was still sound asleep. I took the lack of shuffling in his sleep as a good sign. So, while embracing myself for dread, I chowed down on the meal.

Once the dish was finally cleared off, I returned it to the drawer as I approached the bed on stumbling legs. It didn't take long for the reaction I had been praying for to take place.

With a loud gag, I jumped onto my feet as I raced towards the bathroom door. "Vicky?" Bennett said in alarm as he awoke from his slumber.

I didn't stop to respond as my head was already in the toilet as I vomited my guts out. Thank god that weak constitution ability paid off in the end. I would be pissed if I ate Olives for nothing!

It didn't take long for Bennett to follow me into the bathroom. He gently massaged my shoulders as an elated smile grew on his face. "Is this... morning sickness?"

You wish! I'm glad that he's buying the act at least, but I can't help but feel slightly annoyed by his smiling face. He really thinks he's succeeded in his goal, huh...

"Oh, Vicky!" Bennett purred as he nuzzled his face into my neck. "We're finally going to have our family. It's the best wedding present you could wish for!"

Looking up at Bennett in annoyance, I was quick to snap at him. "I don't think so, if anything this is a major setback."

Bennett furrowed his brows. "You don't have a single thing prepared for a baby, do you?" I elaborated. "From what I've seen, there's not a single crib or pram in sight."

Bennett stroked his chin thoughtfully as he mulled my words over. "It does clash with certain wedding preparations." I leaned in towards the toilet bowl to vomit once more. "You don't seem to be in fighting form for the dress fitting for one..."

Right, so just cancel the wedding or postpone it for like a year! "I guess this means I'll need to personally see to it that I cancel your appointment slot."

Rising to his feet, Bennett cracked his knuckles. "While I'm at it, I might as well buy supplies for the baby while I'm out." He flashed me a devilish grin. "I don't trust my incompetent servants to meet my exact standards in taste after all."

Good. This will give me that window of time to escape! It's best that he believes I'm incapable of pulling anything today.

Lifting me to my feet, Bennett tenderly stroked my face as he gazed into my eyes. "Is there anything specific you want while I'm out?"

I smacked my lips before hardening my face. "The crib and pram both need to be in the specific shade, flaxen. I won't be happy with anything else."

Bennett attempted to hide the annoyance from his face. "You're really trying to make this difficult for me." Pinching the bridge of his nose, he sighed before conceding. "Fine. I'll try to meet your expectations."

As Bennett pulled out a fresh outfit from the wardrobe, I sat on the bed with crossed arms triumphantly. Hopefully, this will keep him preoccupied for a while.

"I'll leave immediately so I'm not gone for too long," Bennett commented as he finished dressing himself.

I rolled my eyes in response as Bennett leaned in to kiss me. As he pulled away, he went to touch my stomach with soft eyes. "This proves you're finally mine. No more trying to escape..."

Uuuu...

Once Bennett was finally gone, I snuck down the stairs while checking whether or not I was being followed. To my delight, the only person who was around was Nick who could be seen working in the kitchen.

I peeked my head out towards the doorway to catch his attention. As I ushered him to follow me, we both made our way towards the cellar door.

With a shaky hand, I unlocked the door and cautiously descended the stairs. "I haven't seen Bennett all morning. I take it that that's a good sign?" Nick asked.

With a smile, I nodded my head. "He should be gone for a while." I casually responded as I strolled through the isle of shelves, observing the various poisons.

"Atropa Belladonna..." Nick commented as he held up a vial that caught his eye.

With my curiosity piqued, I turned to approach him. "Do we have a winner?" I asked as I peeked at the vial over his shoulder.

Nick shoved it into his pockets before nodding. "I think so. It seems to be the most convincing option in faking out deaths."

The sudden sound of shuffling upstairs could be heard. Uh-oh, does this mean my disappearance has already been noticed? Rats! I didn't think Bennett had the time to order people to check on me while he was away!

I looked at Nick in worry. "What are we gonna do now?"

Nick knitted his brows before looking around the room. His eyes finally took notice of the small window as he pulled me towards it by the hand. "It looks like this is our only escape option now."

Through that narrow window? We'd be lucky to not get stuck in it. But based on how the upstairs voices were starting to garner more attraction, it's not like we had any other option. Our hands were practically tied...

With a sigh, I opened the window begrudgingly. With Nick's assistance, I was hoisted out of the window. Once outside, it was my turn to help Nick. This would prove to be more challenging since Nick's frame was bigger than mine.

Nevertheless, I mustered all of my strength into pulling Nick through the window. Eventually, he managed to get out. But to our dismay, the already cracked window had now shattered completely.

Uhh, this isn't looking too good for us. It'll give Bennett a lead to–

"C'mon, we can't waste another second!" Nick explained frantically as he pulled me up to my feet.

Taking one last look back at the mansion I swallowed a gulp. I'm worried that our carelessness will come back to haunt us...