Ch 27- Memories

Author

Have you ever done it? Stay up all night because you were afraid of what tomorrow would bring. But tomorrow is like the shadow of a man, always coming after today.

When his foot finally touched the threshold of the house, it seemed to him as if the memories hit him mercilessly, all at once. And though he was now free and away from that cold cell, it seemed to him that the worst prison he could be was that of the heart.

After glancing all over the house and encountering only silence, he directed his feet up the stairs, and one by one led them to the children's room. It was still too early. As soon as he opened the door and that ray of light penetrated inside the room, he could see faintly the faces of his two angels. Trying not to make any noise he approached closer and lightly caressed their figures hugging each other on the same bed. He knew, they have been waiting for him.

After feeling good for a few minutes there, he decided to leave quietly covering them and giving them a kiss on the forehead.

As he entered his room he removed the jacket he was wearing and placed it on the armchair near the door, then returned with his face to the bed. A look of surprise formed on his face when he saw that one of the small lights was on and a woman figure was lying on the bed. With her back turned he could not clearly distinguish. Wondering who might be, he decided to get closer. Looking at her face now a little better, he wonders what she was still doing there now that she was free.

Maybe, she did not know he would be back today. He thinks to himself as he extends his hand to caress the hair that had fallen on her face. His eyes went to her natural pink lips. He wanted to touch them and feel their tenderness, or worse still kiss them and feel their taste.
For a moment he wanted to take a risk and throw away everything he had said a day before, but then he restrained himself. It was not right for her when her heart belonged to someone else.

He took a step back and decided to get up, he could not stay a minute longer controlling himself from temptation.

But something restrained him. She held out her hand and their fingers met each other.

"Don't go." she whispered while her eyes were still closed.

"Stay with me." she continued as this time started to open her eyes slowly and he turned his head back.

"What are you still doing here?" he asked and their eyes met each other. Both were filled with sadness. She did not speak, but got up somewhat and freed up some space signalling him to sit down. And he did so.

"Why did you give up on me? "She asked and her hand touched his cheek gently. He closed his eyes as he touched her hand and placed it on the mattress. Everything was getting harder for him, she was making it harder to say goodbye.

"Evelin, I can not give up to something i never had. We could never be together anyway." He softly said as he got up and together with him now and her.

"I'm Hazel!" she said, but he didn't respond as he took the keys of the car and was about to leave. She didn't let him go as she grabbed him by the wrist.

"Why did you give up on your wife?" she screamed at his face.

Being so close to her, he could no longer bear it and let go of himself, screaming. "I gave up on someone whose heart belonged to someone else. I gave up on someone whose touches I did not knew as mine." Then he paused for a moment. The eyes of both filled with tears as silence took over the room and then softly said. "I gave up on someone who ....." She did not let him finish, slapped her lips immediately on him and he remained stunned, without moving.

A few seconds later he closed his eyes following the rhythm of her lips and put his hand on her face. He felt it to the bone, like sand that feels the sea when they kiss each other. Even though his body had been alive all this time, he had only now felt himself living.

"My Hazel?" he asked as they parted their lips from each other. She smiled. She knew he would always recognize her touch.

"My Anhriel." She said and put her head on his chest. "Hold me tight. It seems like I haven't been breathing for so long." And he hugged her tightly.

A day ago:

The moment she came out of the police station with her eyes still not dry from tears, she sat down on the stairs nearby. If she did not feel something for him, why did something squeeze in her chest as if a knife had been stuck?

The pain did not go away and the more she wiped away the tears the more they fell down like a river, uncontrollably.

"Momma please i want to eat." She heard a child's voice praying to her mother and throw her eyes at them. The child may be 10 years old.

The mother had taken her daughter by the hand and caressed her, smiling in the form of approval. Hazel mind goes to her little ones.

"I want pizza. With a lot of cheese." The little girl spoke giggling. The girl's laughter started ringing in her head over and over again, several times. Then she got up, covering her ears, but the laughter continued to grow even more, even though the figure of the woman and daughter was now gone.

"Make it stop!" she whispered, but there was no one. Then the noise stopped and unknowingly she sat down on the stairs again.

"Where are you going Mom?" She heard another kid asking. This time was a boy. As she turned her head back she saw that no one was there. God, she thinks to herself, are you going crazy?

"Mom when you turn back, please bring a lot of pizzas." The image of the little boy smiling appeared before her eyes. He looked like he was Jay, only a few years younger. Then herself appeared before her eyes, different from now and her hair in golden color. Was she remembering?

The headache started again and various voices echoed in her head. For a moment everything seemed to be turning black and the next moment she managed to take the phone from her bag, calling a number. As she put it in her ear, a voice was heard from the other side responding.

"Dad, please come and get me!" she said crying as the headache didn't stop.

She was now remembering!