Chapter 18

The next morning, Ash got up early. He placed his foot on the ground gingerly, but he needn't have worried. Adam was right: in one day the bones had healed and he could move his foot without any pain.

He went to the kitchen where his mom sat at the table.

"Hey," he said. "You harassed me about my leg for two hours yesterday, and after one night it's even better than before." Ash took a few dance steps.

"I'm pleased," she said, "because I've decided that as a punishment for taking Adam's suit, you'll do the housework today: you'll clean, iron, make the beds, and help me cook."

Ash stared at her to see if she meant it. She had the face of a judge who had just read a death sentence. And so he spent the entire morning cleaning the floor, mirrors, windows, and the entire kitchen and bathroom, as well as ironing sheets, shirts, and trousers. Whenever his mother walked in, she pointed out a corner he had missed or a crease he hadn't gotten out in a jacket.

Then it was time to cook. His mother had decided to make potato cakes, but she hadn't boiled the potatoes soft enough and mashing them felt like crushing stones. Had she done it on purpose?

Rachel went into the kitchen. "Are you free this afternoon? We have to go to the beach with Owen."

"Who is Owen?" Mom asked, looking sideways.

Rachel told her about the boy from yesterday. Mom said, "Okay, after lunch you can go."

Ash nodded. He wasn't sure he wanted to go to the beach with those kids, but it would certainly be better than working beneath the stern gaze of his mother. The night before, his father had threatened to ground him for the whole week, but fortunately he was at work and, from what he had announced at dinner the night before, he would be away practically seven days a week for the investigation. His mother, on the other hand, was more understanding, or perhaps didn't want to hinder Ash and Rachel from making new friends in the new city.

After lunch, Ash went up to his room, put on his bathing suit and shirt, prepared a bag, and set off with Rachel.

The beach was like a shopping center on the seashore: little bars, ice-cream kiosks, and people selling summer games everywhere, while peddlers shouted about the superior quality of the junk they were hawking.

Ash and Rachel worked their way through dozens of pale bodies that were strolling, playing beach ball, or lying like lizards in the warm June sun. He had alerted Owen five minutes earlier that they were arriving, and Owen suggested they meet in front of the bar. But Ash hadn't realized there were about two hundred bars here.

"What's wrong?" Rachel asked him, "you're hunching and you look nervous."

Ash straightened his back. He said, "Well, you know, these aren't Numas."

Rachel rolled her eyes. "You're still the same idiot. You always complain about prejudices toward Numas, and then you go and have prejudices against non-Numas!"

"I'm not prejudiced," Ash said, looking down again. "I'm just careful."

"Yes, but when others are 'careful' with you, you don't like it so much."

She had a point, Ash thought.

They walked along that endless beach for a long time. He was about to text Owen when, at last, he spotted him ahead.

"Hey! I'm here!" Owen sat among the five friends Ash had met the day before and gestured for him and Rachel to join them. Miriam was there too, wearing a delightful white and pink bikini.

"Hi," said Ash, looking at Miriam.

"Look who's here," said Anthony. "The enhancer suit thief. You're able to walk today?"