Chapter 41

At that moment, Ash's father came into the room. He was wearing a tight shirt with beige trousers. Normally he never dressed in such a sporty way. Everyone greeted him, and as he approached the bed, they moved to make room for him. Ash was afraid he would reprimand him, but when he saw a smile appear on Dad's face, his heart lifted.

"How are you?" he asked.

"I'm fine, Dad."

"You gave us all a good fright."

"I'm sorry. Adam deceived me."

"We know everything," said Dad. "We'll talk about it tomorrow. Now you must rest."

"You should be proud of him. He could be a great agent," said Serena pointing Ash.

Dad took a breath. "Well, we'll see that."

He made a movement with his hand as if he wanted to caress him, but he stopped at the last moment. Instead he said, "Are you happy we're going home to Finnis?"

"What?" Ash sat right up.

"Now that the investigations have finished, there's no reason to stay here. Isn't that better? That way you can return to your friends."

Ash and Rachel looked at each other, but neither of them had the courage to speak.

"Well, I think your transfer will take some time," said Serena.

Dad raised an eyebrow. "What do you mean?"

"We need good people here in New Hayes to defeat the Shadows gang. And now that Adam is dead, I need someone who has enough experience to follow the case."

Dad stammered something, but Mom spoke for him. "He'll think about it."

Ash tried to hide his smile so as not to make his father nervous. His sister seemed to be doing the same. Dad said goodbye and went back to work; he had just stopped by to see if Ash had woken up.

Serena watched him leave the room and when he was out she sighed. "He's changed."

"What do you mean?" asked Rachel.

"During the war he was full of energy; he gave everything of himself for the cause. We used to talk about what we would do in the future, full of hope. And if there was a dangerous mission, he faced it without any fear. Maybe it was my father's fault. He let him take on more responsibilities than he could handle," she looked at Mom. "I heard after the war he spent a long time seeing a psychiatrist."

Really?

"Yes," said Mom. "For almost two years. He diagnosed him with post-traumatic stress disorder, a typical illness in veterans."

"And how is he now?"

"He still has nightmares. Sometimes even flashbacks and bursts of anger."

Ash scratched his chin. He had never understood his father; he had never understood all the desperation he hid deep inside and that only emerged occasionally. That was why he didn't want Ash to become an agent; he was afraid Ash might suffer the way he had.

"Come on," said Owen and banged his fist on the bed, making everyone laugh. "Let's leave this grey place. The day is waiting for us out there."

"How long do I have to stay in the hospital?" asked Ash.

"We're just waiting for the doctor to release you," Mom said.

The doctor arrived half an hour later and, after giving Ash a once-over, signed the patient discharge papers. Herbert and Owen said goodbye.

"Next time you plan on saving the world," Herbert said, "give us a call."

Ash got dressed and went down to the parking lot with his mother and sister. As they drove, the summer sun was reflected on the skyscrapers and made the city shine like a diamond.