Chapter Thirty-Six | Victory

- Tamara Myers -

Locking my car door shut with the button on my keys, I make my way to the concert hall with Lilah. Today's the day of the music competition against Ivy U. In all honesty, Lilah is the best of the group - she really is a musical prodigy but the music teacher insisted that we go together.

Kai should be here as well but because he had hockey earlier so he has to rush over here. Hopefully he isn't late. Thinking about it now, Lucas and Kai are quite similar like Jas said. Both play hockey and play an instrument. I'm surprised at that combination being so popular.

Stop comparing those two.

As we walk through the halls there is a strong sense of familiarity. I've never been here before - I'm sure of it. But it's being around music again like back home. It feels nice.

We arrive outside the hall and need to sign our names to show that we are present. For this register thing. I find my name and sign there handing the pen to Lilah I also notice that Kai's name has been signed. He's here?

"Ok, Tamara lets go in." Lilah beckons me over and opens the door to the hall.

It's massive, woah.

Things like this actually make me quite nervous. We walk behind the stage into a music room to get our instruments. Well, it's not as if I can just carry a grand piano but hopefully you understand.

Lilah gets her guitar and begins to practice playing. We aren't the only people here. Kai walks in and greets us with a small wave, grabbing his guitar. I take that as my cue to start playing the piano.

The door opens and some students from Ivy U walk in, probably thinking that this is their room. Even though there is a NYU sign on the other side of the door.

"Oh, just came to let you guys know that people are coming into the concert hall, so performances are starting soon." A girl says, holding her viola.

I nod and she leaves the room. Lilah takes a deep breath, "Gosh, I'm nervous. My hands are shaky too, damn. I clearly haven't done this in a while." She laughs but it fall short as her eyes fill with tears.

My eyebrows rise and my immediate reaction is to give her a hug. I think she's panicking. She takes a couple deep breaths and we sit on the floor. "Ok, Lilah can you take a couple breaths with me? We'll do it in sync."

She nods and Kai taps my shoulder, "I'll get her a glass of water and get the music teacher." He whispers.

He leaves the room with just us two remaining. Good thing I took a class to help people during an anxiety attack.

I remember getting random ones before exams when I was younger. And they were the worst. That is the crippling obsession for academic validation for you.

"Lilah, is there anything I can do? Do you want to talk about it?" I ask, just loud enough so she can hear me.

She shakes her head and takes a big swallow but her tremors haven't subsided. We sit there for a while, and I hold her hand until she calms down. Hopefully she will be feeling better..

But I have a bad feeling.

*****

"How is she feeling?" Kai asks after I leave the room. A medic came over and took over for me. She seemed to be feeling better, but after a random attack like that it can leave you incredibly exhausted.

"She's better." I nod, rubbing my hands, "But this also means that she can't perform anymore. As long as she's ok, that's all that matters."

We fall into step walking behind stage, "What's going to happen now?"