7☁︎︎

new cover! hope you like it and enjoy this chapter angels.
-•

Valentina
For a last quick task, were debating whether drugs should be banned or not, and I was on the pro team. How fate fucking worked out. We got into a group huddle, and after little discussion, it was decided I was captain. I'd only been here three days, and the entire class already knew I was practically the best debater here. There was only one person that could actually stand a chance against me though. Take a wild guess who that was.

After briefly preparing and researching my argument, I take a stand by the front desk, and face my opponent, who is, of-freaking-course, Jordan. I glare at him in silent indignation and a little smirk lifts his lips, whilst he has the audacity to smile and wave innocently. The debate professor stands up, holding his timer in his hand.
"You have ten minutes to state and prove your case." He announces, starting the stopwatch and beckons me to start.

"The reasons for drug legalisation are absolute. Government at all levels spends about $100 billion a year on law enforcement and criminal justice programs to combat the drug problem, and about $35 billion is directly related to drug law enforcement. About $50 billion a year could be saved if drugs were legalized, and this figure could go as high as $150 billion a year if one considers the resources spent on ineffective drug suppression activities." I state, straightening my shoulders and looking Jordan square in the eye.
Try fucking top that.

He raises a brow as if to say that was 'eh' and pushes himself off the wall to stand directly opposite me. Clearing his throat, he straightens out to his full height, and leans his arms on the table in front of him, his sleeves rolled up against his taut muscles and his hands clasped in each other.

"Whilst that is true, if drugs such as heroin are legalized, their price will be reduced significantly, hypodermic needles will be readily available at the neighborhood drug store, and drugs can be purchased anywhere. There would no longer be any financial or medical reason to avoid drug use. So whilst it may save money that could be used to benefit people, the easy accessibility to them will only harm others."

I take a small breath, leaning my arms on the table in front of me, mirroring his position. "It would benefit people in the way that by making these illicit drug business non-existent, cities, streets and schools would become safer. About one-third of inmates would not be in prison if it were no longer a crime to possess or traffic in illicit drugs. It would more so help these people than harm them." I tilt my head in challenge, a little competitive grin playing at my lips from the adrenaline rushing through my veins for my profound love for debate.

"Oh, yeah? It helps people, even when those addicted to crack and its effects virtually exclude almost all other considerations such as job, sleep, food, family and children? Crack abuse is not a victimless crime; users regularly victimize their children by neglect and their employers and coworkers by lethargy and carelessness."

"None of which aren't probably doing so already without the legalisation. If drugs were legalized, dangers to public health from using heroin, cocaine, and marijuana would be reduced since legalizing drugs would probably reduce the use of harmful drugs. The main risk of drug legalization concerns the potential for increased drug consumption. Because the drug market is already saturated with a combination of legal and illegal drugs, however, virtually everyone who wants to get 'high' already does so." The timer buzzes and I cross my arms in victory, chin held high.
I rest my case.

"Times up, and I declare Miss Alvarez as our consistent winner." He raises an arm to me, and the class applauds at our notable debate. I walk to my seat, placing my bag on my shoulder as I perch my foot on the chair to tie my laces, everyone else filing out of the classroom.