Chapter 26: Wrath

Amid the fury, Adler lost all concentration. His eyes only caught the world moving as if in a slow-motion video. The background of the dungeon walls was out of focus in distortion due to the speed of his legs.

In the middle of the first-floor corridor, he encountered a group of adventurers arduously fighting a pair of goblins. Without stopping his movement, he appeared next to the pale and frightened adventurers.

He blinked at their backs, and the two men lost consciousness. He swung his legs around, and blood and the mangled flesh of the goblins splattered on the walls. He removed the cloak from the swordsman adventurer as he stole the hood worn by the mage before tossing the clothes into the inventory.

The life and death of others did not matter to him. There was no time to dwell on trivial matters. The only thing on his mind was the safety of the girl he barely knew.

Why was he so worried about her? They had only known each other for a couple of minutes, but his core was reacting strongly towards her to the point of raging at the glimpse of the previous scene.

Quickly, faster!

He commanded his legs to run faster and soon headed for a well-lit spot. The ashen-colored spiral staircase reaching ten meters high in the center of the room meant he was near the first floor of the Babel tower.

"Camouflage."

A golden light surrounded Adler, and like a deflating balloon, his body shrank enough to be buried in the middle of the white clothing. The pajamas dissolved into blue filaments before being absorbed into the inventory.

The ordinary blackish-colored stone that could easily be mistaken for dungeon debris was left in place. The child's fingernail-sized stone flickered toward the light at the end of the tunnel.

Several adventurers glanced at each other as they felt the strong wind rush past them, only to shrug their shoulders at the end.

Perhaps the delicious wines played a trick on their senses.

Adler plopped down on top of the huge bag containing an adventurer's necessities. While it was true that Adler had lost all concentration, he still retained some of his rationality. Exposing himself to the world would attract trouble that he wanted to avoid for the time being. He was not all-powerful, and even more so considering that the gods were spreading like cockroaches throughout the world.

Soon they emerged on the first floor of the Babel tower.

No one would imagine that the mouth of the very abyss for many adventurers was in this beautiful landscape. The glow is given off by the magic stones in the form of light bulbs reverberating off the thin layer of the floor composed of clean material.

To one side of the majestic hall was the trading post, a place used by adventurers to exchange their loot obtained in the dungeon for valis. In contrast, the opposite was a long table used by employees of the adventurers' guild to advise novices or exchange important information.

Move quickly. Sell everything at once; I'm running out of time!

Adler's head filled with curses as he hurried the adventurer to exchange all his loot. Many strong adventurers might notice his presence if he moved, so it was best to stay hidden among the weapons.

After a few long minutes, the adventurer walked away from the trading post while cursing what little profit he had made. The moment he stepped out of the huge doorway, a gale flew past him, bursting his face and sending him tumbling across the street.

"W-what happened?!" The panicked shout of a group of adventurers boomed as they surrounded the unconscious man.

"Call the guild staff, and you guys look for the culprit!".