Chapter 14: Injury Prone

iMessage: we're the devils

douglas
jack and piper sitting in a tree

pip
douglas
how many days are you going to keep doing this?

douglas
til it gets old

pip
news flash
its old

nics
i gotta agree with pip

pip
thank you nico

nics
ur welcome pip

douglas
y'all never let me have any fun

lil jizzy
oh well

~

The last time we played the Washington Capitals, we lost terribly to them, and the game after we started our 13-game win streak. It was definitely a revenge game.

Jack scored twice already, he was looking for his third. I wanted him so badly to get a hat trick. He was so deserving of it. Each time he shot it on the net it was so close to going in but their goalie had enough of letting in Jack's goals. He was starting to get frustrated so before the next play, I skated up and talked to him.

"Hey, babe, you got this. You can do this. Just put it in through one of your impossible angles. That's what you do. That's what you're good at. What's better than a Jack Hughes hat trick? A disgusting Jack Hughes hat trick!" I encouraged. He chucked and nodded. "You can do this."

Jack took the faceoff and began the play. It took us a while before we could get it out of our zone. I finally got control of the puck and sent it up the ice for Erik Haula. Jack followed suit and was quickly passed the puck. Jack shot it again just under the goalie's arm and in. The crowd went absolutely insane.

"HOLY FUCKING SHIT BABE!" I yelled, jumping into his arms.

"I DID IT! I GOT MY FIRST HAT TRICK." He yelled back to all of us.

"LET IT RAIN HATS BABY!"

We started skating over to the bench. As we did, I picked up a hat that was on the ice and placed it right on top of his helmet. Him, along with the rest of the guys, thought it was hilarious.

~

"Emma?" I asked when I finished making our breakfast.

"What's up?" She asked, taking a bite of her eggs.

"You wanna come to the game tonight? A bunch of the WAGS are going and I figured you would wanna meet them." I offered.

"But I'm not a WAG. I'll feel so out of place." She explained

"I can't believe we've hit the day where Emma doesn't want to go watch her best friend play." I said in a faked shocked tone. She laughed then took a few bites of her eggs.

"Okay okay, I'll go. Who are you guys playing?"

"The Nashville Predators."

"Sounds like fun! I'll go!"

"Perfect, I leave a ticket at Will Call for you. I gotta get to practice. See you later!"

~

I took the puck and skated as hard as I could. I wanted this goal so badly. We were down by 2 goals and we desperately needed this win. I went up the side of the benches, skating past the Predator's bench, only to be met by one of their defensemen. I slowed down so as to not crash into him but at the same time, he took the puck from me. He chipped it up into the air. As I moved closer, his chip wasn't high enough and caught my face under my visor. I shot my head back in pain and grabbed my nose and let out a yelp of pain. Another Predator player noticed what had just happened but came at me too fast and didn't have much time to stop. He slammed me into the board with as little force as he could, which was still a lot. My knee bent awkwardly as I collided but nothing could stop the momentum and my head collided with the boards as well. The ref blew the play dead as I lay there on the ice completely dazed. It happened so suddenly that I didn't realize that there was so much pain in my knee. I was so focused on my head.