Chapter 17: The Return

I practically had to convince Lindy Ruff to let me go on this trip to Detroit. That's how it was with every trip while I was dealing with this injury. Fortunately for me, it didn't take too long this time.

I had some good news for the boys but I didn't want to tell them just yet. JT cleared me to go back to regular practice and he also vowed not to tell anyone but Coach Ruff. I wanted to surprise the guys on the ice during our next practice.

I just kept telling myself though, one more day. One more game then I'm back. It still sucked sitting up in the stands though. However, with just a minute left in the second period, someone from the broadcast team came into our suite looking for me.

"Piper Dunn?" She asked.

"That me." I said, turning around to see who it was.

"Hi, my name is Melanie and I'm with NHL on TNT. We heard you were here and we wanted to know if you wanted to come up to the broadcast booth and do an interview with us. I promise it won't take long." She explained. I looked over at the security guy who let her in. We weren't supposed to leave the suite unless it was to go back to the locker room. I'm sure that this was an exception and that it would have been cleared beforehand. He shrugged like the decision was up to me.

"I don't see why not." I smiled and stood up from my seat and went to follow her. Her eyes immediately darted to my knee brace that I was still wearing over my pants.

"How's the knee?" She asked as we made our way up.

"Getting better." I smiled softly. "I'm just waiting until I'm cleared to play again." I said looking at her.

"That's good! I'm sure you're eager to get back out there." She said.

"Oh, you have no idea."

Soon enough we were at the booth and they immediately had me mic up.

"Piper Dunn! So glad to finally meet you! Eddie Olczyk." Eddie said, holding out his hand.

"Hey, nice to meet you." I smiled, shaking his hand.

"Keith Jones. It's great to meet you, Piper." Keith said, holding out his hand next.

"You two thank you guys for having me." I smiled again, now shaking Keith's hand.

We then just had to wait until they were ready to go on air. Soon enough, the lights came on and we were live.

"Welcome back everyone to NHL on TNT. We have a special guest joining us for the intermission report. New Jersey Devils newcomer Piper Dunn had joined us in the booth. Welcome Piper, thanks for joining us." Keith said, introducing the segment.

"Thank you for having me." I smiled, looking at both of them.

"So I think everyone wants to know how you're doing. Doing good? Getting healthy again?"

"Yeah, yeah just working hard and just trying to get back out there you know? Obviously, it sucked when it happened but you know stuff happens. The medical staff have been fantastic in helping me get back so I'm really grateful for them."

"That's great to hear. We were all so worried to see the stretcher on the ice. No one wants to see that so we're grateful that you're working hard to come back."

"Now I bet a lot of people have asked you this but we want to know for ourselves. What is it like to be the first woman to play in the NHL?" Eddie asked next. I chucked but answered the question.

"It's been amazing and I feel really honored that I'm the first. You work so hard to get to this level and to finally be here and be a part of this team, it's just amazing. Everyone welcomed me with open arms. I'm just so thankful for everyone that's helped me get to this level.