( xviii. no somos nada )

❝ 𝐭𝐞𝐥𝐥 𝐡𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐲𝐨𝐮'𝐯𝐞 𝐠𝐨𝐭𝐭𝐞𝐧 𝐭𝐢𝐫𝐞𝐝, 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐟𝐨𝐮𝐧𝐝 𝐬𝐨𝐦𝐞𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐛𝐞𝐭𝐭𝐞𝐫.

════ ☆ ★ ☆ ════

in the morning, when the sun was already up and some people were already at the beach, joão and lia were still hugging each other as they slept. joão kept hugged her tightly, as if he was unable to let her go because he felt that she would disappear forever if he did so. he's not ready to let go just yet.

"que bonitos." azul told saak in a low voice, peaking her head into the room.

"güey, it looks like she's his mom." saak told her, taking a quick glance of the scene. "but i guess they're cute together. joão deserves someone that cares for him."

     "why can't they just accept that they like each other? it would be so much easier." azul groaned. she looked at joão and lia one last time before closing the bedroom door.

     "what if he still wants to go back to the white girl?" saak asked and his face immediately turned into a scowl after saying it. "his dumbass better not because out of all people he had to choose a white girl. what's up with europeans and they're lack of taste?"

     azul chuckled, "they left all the taste here when they went back to europe after colonizing." both of them softly laughed. "we should wait until they wake up to leave." they walked out of the hallway and into the living room.

joão kept dreaming of what would happen when he went back to portugal. how would everything turn out? one thing is for sure, he will break up with magui because he can't just leave lia like that. he promised to take her to qatar and he'll do it so that she can see him play in person. and for some reason he knows lia will enjoy it, unlike magui who doesn't even want to watch him play.

joão opened his eyes and realized lia was still in his arms. he stared at her and a soft smile spread across his lips. looking at her is like admiring a painting; a work of art. or at least that's what he saw.

     he reached over for his hand and intertwined their fingers. it pained him to leave her. he wanted to stay, but he has to go back to portugal to prepare for the world cup. he'll try his best to impress her because she put up with him when it wasn't even her job. not everyone does that.

     even though he had two more days with her, he already misses her. he feels like something's being robbed from him.

joão unwrapped his arms from around lia's body and then laid beside her. her phone buzzed in her back pocket and joão softly moved her body to grab it. another instagram notification; another text from cate.

     joão quickly stood up from the bed and he felt dizzy once he did. his laid his hand on his head and started to look around the room for his phone. it wasn't there. he'd left it in the living room last night.

     "is everything alright?" lia groaned when she opened her eyes and saw joão looking around the room. her eyes moved to his hand and saw him holding her phone. "joão!" she shouted, which made joão jump. "why do you have my phone? give it back!" she said as she got up from the bed.

     "cate texted you again." joão told lia and then handed her the phone. "can i see what she said."

     "no. we're going to forget about it."