Chapter 15

Elle's eyes burned as they cracked open, the sun bleeding through the blinds in her hotel room. She hadn't woken feeling rested in the three nights she had been in staying in Minot. She rolled over and grabbed her phone, her heart sinking as the screen came up blank.

She hadn't heard from Avery since she drove off in her car that night. After the taillights disappeared, Elle had walked closer into town before calling a Lyft to a nearby hotel. She didn't know why she had decided to stay and hadn't done anything over the last few days besides wallow around her hotel and cry. Morgan had checked in a couple of times, attempting to get a full story from Elle before conceding and just giving her updates on when Avery got back to Chicago. She knew that she would eventually have to go back and face Morgan who was inadvertently thrown into her mess but hashing everything out at that point felt impossible.

She threw some clothes on and started to get ready to go downstairs for some breakfast when her phone pinged. She felt her heart rate pick up instantly. Could it be Avery? She reached for her phone, immediately disappointed before registering the number on the phone. It was a North Dakota area code. The only people that would potentially contact her from North Dakota was Rachel or her Aunt Rose – one of whom was dead and the other in her contacts. She shakily swiped on her screen to reveal the message.

Hello Eleanor, it's your mother. Rachel gave me your number. Can we talk? I can call you.

Elle's chest constricted, the LED words on her screen swimming in her vision. There was no way that her mother could be contacting her. She had just turned away, ignored her when she was at her parents' house. And now she wants to talk? Elle scoffed to herself and threw the phone on the bed. Her mother didn't deserve a response. She didn't call for years after Elle was kicked out. Elle knew that her mother knew where she was, and she never once tried to find her. Elle was on her own for so long.

But a small part of her couldn't help but wonder what would happen if she talked to her mother. What if she wanted to reconcile? Apologize for the last twelve years and try to rebuild their relationship? And if so, wasn't that the exact reason why Elle came in the first place? Yes, she wanted to say goodbye to her father and that was a massive failure, but maybe the universe wasn't trying to just play tricks on her. Maybe this is what she was meant to do all along, mend her relationship with her mother and help them both heal. And if that's what her mom wanted, didn't she owe it to herself, her mom, and the memory of her dad?

She stared at her phone, worrying the edge of her lip until it started to sting before she reached out for it. Without thinking she called the number that texted her, and within seconds her mom's voice rang through the other end.

"Eleanor?"

"Hi mom," Elle said shakily.

She heard her mother exhale. "I wasn't sure if you'd respond."

Elle shook her head. "Honestly, I wasn't that sure either."

Her mom paused for a moment on the other end. "I, well I wanted to talk to you about the other night. Rachel told me that you knew what happened to your father."

Elle nodded despite her mom not being able to see. She was fighting the tears that began pricking the corners of her eyes, dry and crusted from how many times she had let them fall over the last few days. She still didn't understand why her mom was reaching out in the first place, let alone wanting to have this conversation this way, now. She didn't want to have this talk over the phone. She needed to see her mom in person and understand what she wanted from her.

"I'm still in Minot," Elle blurted before she could reign in her thoughts enough to form a plan.

The line on the other end was silent for a few beats. "Oh, you are? Why haven't you gone home?"