Epilogue

One Year Later

The Portland International Airport was unnecessarily busy for a random day in early June. The pick-up zone was so crammed with travelers that it was nearly impossible to find your ride.

"Motherfucker," Morgan grumbled next to her, attempting to wrangle her suitcases in between everyone. "Can't they give a woman some breathing room?"

"Excuse me everyone, excuse me," she could hear Adrian saying anxiously a few feet behind them to the hipster-looking man blocking his way. "I need to get to my pregnant wife!"

Morgan rolled her eyes, but rested her hand on her belly, nonetheless. Morgan was a few months pregnant and was just starting to show and was clearly reveling in it. "Does he need to make that known to everyone?" she said in a humored tone to Elle.

"Hey, he's just excited to be a dad," Elle said, giving her friend a teasing smile. "And don't tell me you don't love it."

"You might be right about that," Morgan said as she gave her husband a quick peck.

Elle heard a blaring honk behind them and whipped around. She saw a bright blue Subaru slowly approaching them behind many cars attempting to pick up loved ones. Avery was leaning her head out of the car, simultaneously enthusiastically waving at her friends while also flipping off the drivers around her. Elle couldn't stop smiling as she watched Avery pull up by them and throw herself out of the vehicle to wrap Elle in her arms. Elle was overtaken with the smell of vanilla and tobacco that made her feel like she was at home. Avery's hair was slightly lighter, something that FaceTime didn't pick up very well. She was slightly tanned, wearing a black tank top and orange shorts. It took everything in Elle not to kiss her right there. 

As she swayed in Avery's tight embrace, she couldn't help but think about their first meeting, right here in the PDX pick up zone a little over a year ago. Avery and Elle pulled back when they heard a very pointed cough coming from an impatient Morgan standing right behind them. Avery kept her eyes on Elle's as they broke their hug, so many unspoken words floating in the air between them, before Avery turned to hug her other friends.

"And how are my future parent's to be?" Avery said cheerily, sneaking another glance at Elle as she exchanged pleasantries and loaded up their suitcases.

Elle took a deep breath, soaking in the fresh air that you only get in Oregon. The sky was clear, and in the distance, she could see that Mt. Hood was out today. She felt a sense of peace as she got in the front seat of the car next to Avery, and she would be lying if part of that feeling didn't also come from being reunited with Avery.

Elle had only seen Avery once at Christmas since their date in Chicago almost exactly a year ago. They had talked almost every single day though. Elle had never been this close with someone, and she couldn't wait to spend time with Avery now that she was in Portland. They had a lot to talk about this trip, and Elle was itching to get it out. But she knew she had to wait until the right moment.

They drove along I-5 until they got to the Monte's house. When they arrived, Samuel came bounding down their front porch to scoop Morgan and Adrian up in a hug. "How is my future grandbaby doing?" he asked, tears prickling at his eyes as soon as he mentioned his grandchild. 

"Oh my gosh, Samuel, you said you wouldn't do this," Andrea said scoldingly, but with so much love in her eyes.

They all hugged each other and said their hellos before Elle grabbed Avery's hand and pulled her aside.

"Hey, you," Elle said nervously.

"Hey, yourself," Avery responded with a smile.

"Can we go on a quick detour?" Elle asked, her hands shaking slightly.