chapter thirteen.

"Kunikida and Junichiro should be here in two hours," Atsushi stated as he grabbed his bag, Kyoka following suit. "We'll meet them out there and buy you some time."

"I have most of it prepared," Dazai stated, wearing a bright blue apron he found within the kitchen.

He was making the best of what surprisingly little food there was in the safe house already. They would need to get more items soon if this situation isn't resolved anytime soon.

"I just need to wait for the oven to finish warming up and then I'll be able to pop the meal in and everything will be ready to go," Dazai stated.

He wasn't the kind of person to know his way around a kitchen very well, but he did his best with what little knowledge he did have. It was certainly very helpful that there was a cookbook with a now-retired author stowed away – near the apron in fact. He followed the recipe, with Atsushi's help (not that he knew much more than Dazai did) and guidance (Dazai wanted to do more freestyle cooking that would've most likely ended with everything in flames), the meal was nearly finished.

"Are you sure you've got everything under control, Dazai?" Atsushi was understandably very worried.

This was all meant to be a surprise for (Y/n), but it wouldn't be much of anything if Dazai ended up with his blue apron turning red and the oven engulfed in an uncontrolled heat. Atsushi had half a mind to tip her off about what was happening so she could do damage control. He ultimately decided not to as it would ruin the surprise and he knew, deep down, that Dazai could accomplish the rest of his task on his own. He needed to. He had to.

"Good luck, Dazai. You've got this," Atsushi said one last time before guiding Kyoka out the door (not that he really needed to). "We'll see you tomorrow morning after Kunikida and Junichiro switch out guard posts with us."

With that, Atsushi and Kyoka were out the door and off to meet Kunikida and Junichiro. Dazai and (Y/n) were left to fend for themselves. All alone... in that surprisingly large safe house.

(Y/n) was eventually able to clean herself up and calm down without leaving the room

(Y/n) was eventually able to clean herself up and calm down without leaving the room. She'd thought over everything, ranging from switching locations so fast to learning of her attempted(?) murderer's escape to the betrayal of her fiancé.

She changed into a black slip, grabbing a robe out from her bag and throwing it over herself. She ran a brush through her hair, eventually letting it rest as she prepared to go to bed for the night. That was until her stomach grumbled.

(Y/n) realized she hadn't eaten since before they left to go to the safe house. She hadn't realized how ravenous she was – stress took ahold of everything within her and guided her to safety.

The most delectable scent wafted into the room. It smelled sweet with hints of various spices. It was one of the greatest things she'd ever smelled, yet it made her nervous and almost irritated for her to realize that there was a chance that it was not for her and a method of passive aggression from Dazai. He was incredibly good at it...