chapter thirty.

(Y/n)'s hand rested against the handle of the dagger. Her shirt was drenched in blood, both old and fresh. She knew that once she pulled out that blade, it was only a matter of time before she herself would pass out from a mixture of overwhelming pain and blood loss.

She crawled away from the edge of the building, a slight trail of blood left behind as she made her way around. She watched as Aimi kept summoning ghosts, the glow in her eyes brightening as more of the dead began to take over Yokohama.

(Y/n) grabbed one of the workbenches, pulling herself to her feet. Her legs felt like jelly, wobbling underneath her, threatening to give out at any moment. She sucked in a breath, biting her lip as she gripped the dagger handle. She suppressed a scream of pain as she ripped the crimson-soaked blade out from her side.

With a couple deep, almost shocked breaths, she regained her focus and her balance. Pain wafted throughout her body, but she couldn't care less. All of it seemed to fade as she looked back up at Aimi.

(Y/n) stepped forward, hurling the dagger at Aimi. It sliced through her forearm, bouncing off her skin and over the edge of the building. It fell into the battle, leaving both her and (Y/n) completely unarmed.

Aimi clasped her hand over the fresh wound, snapping her head towards (Y/n). "How are you still alive?"

(Y/n) cracked a blood-covered knuckle. It was not as intimidating as she hoped it would be, yet she kept the demeanor as she replied, "Come over and find out."

Kunikida pressed his hands against the glowing, dead construction worker's shoulders, holding him back as he tried to bite at Kunikida

Kunikida pressed his hands against the glowing, dead construction worker's shoulders, holding him back as he tried to bite at Kunikida. It was way more disturbing up close, especially since the ghost's face had been apparently half burned off before dying. It smelled off boiled flesh and burnt bones.

With a grunt, he shoved the ghost back. He got his leg up, using what time he had with the solid opponent to kick him back against the stationary truck. The ghost slid against the truck, barely phased by the hit.

Kunikida began sliding back against the sand as the ghost came at him. He didn't have time to get back into an upright fighting stance. He clearly didn't have the upper hand from below either. He just needed to figure out how to stay conscious long enough to come up with some sort of plan.

The ghost reached out for Kunikida with an angered grunt. Kunikida prepared for part two with the ghost. That was until a dagger flew down from above, slicing through the ghost and causing it to disappear. It bounced against the sand twice before sliding in front of Kunikida.

He let out a short breath of relief, that was until he realized the blade was caked in fresh blood and now sand. He reached for it, picking it up before looking towards the building it supposedly fell from. He heard a scream from above, catching a glimpse of Aimi and (Y/n) fighting atop the unfinished building.

Kunikida shot to his feet, running to Dazai. He sliced through a few ghosts along the way, body slamming another before stopping in front of the clearly exhausted detective.