Chapter 34

It's unbelievable, this book has 20k reads! Thank you so so so much for continue reading, especially for your unbelievable patience XD. I love you all sm!

------------------------------------

Standing in my doorway, staring at her, I suddenly don't know how to make myself move. I opened my mouth a little, wanting to say something, and yet, I don't have any words to utter.

I think I lost my own tongue.

I thought my worst way of dying is being eaten alone somewhere in the forest or hit by a speeding car that would fly me all the way to a random gate that is, coincidentally, has spikes to instantly kill me.

But, I think any of that wouldn't happen anymore.

I'm dead the first second I got the text that Cate is going here, to my house, where she didn't know that my mother is here.

And now, she knows.

She really knows this time.

It's not a secret anymore. And I don't know what or how she reacted, how Cate was surprised that a different person open the door for her.

Her 'question' doesn't seem mad, but it's acting. I know that because she found something that I'm keeping to her, she knows I fucked up the moment she saw my mother.

But what I don't know if she's angry or even in a rage right now. I know nothing about what she's thinking because she looks relaxed and comfortable like nothing happened. Like there's nothing to talk about when we get alone together.

It terrifies me.

If I could, I would really wanna bury myself on this very ground, and disappear in a matter of seconds.

So when I finally got my courage to say something, I whispered her name almost breathlessly, as if it tells all the thousands of apologies I want to say to her, as if it tells how scared I am. I took a step and immediately make my way in front of Cate, saying, "Catherine, I am so sorry--"

Surprisingly, Cate held my hand with a laugh, stopping me to say anything. "Darling, it's fine. Just don't do that again, please."

We both know that's not what I meant.

So, I looked at her with a frown, "No, I--"

Cate unexpectedly pulls me to seat beside her. I even almost tripped because of how sudden it was. So now she seats between me and my mom, which I never imagined would happen.

A really strange position that we're having.

"And you, why didn't you tell me you work for her? A celebrity! I thought you work in a company of some sort?"

I confusedly look at my mother, she's making this up, as if she knows me so well. I didn't even tell her that I have a job.

I was about to reply when Cate replied for me, "I--I'm the one who offered y/n a job. Well, the job comes with the confidentiality thing so I think that's why she didn't tell you about that," Cate said so convincing that even I almost believe her—the part where she acts as if she doesn't know about my bitterness with my mother. Then she glanced at me, smiling proudly which made me reply to her with a baffled look, "Even though the job has given risks and out of her... league, she took it bravely and I--I know it was the right decision because every day, I witness how, well, generally, amazing she is...I mean how she works with me. I could really tell you too that she's more professional than mine." She added with a laugh and I wish I could laugh with her too because we both know that neither of us we're professional. We literally sleep beside each other every damn night.