Chapter Five A Desperate Decision

Chapter Five

By the next morning, Isla had slept in a little later than she normally did. So did Jane.

Jane worked and went to school. Her family was similar to Isla's. At least her mother's side, so Jane needed to work if she wanted to pay her fair share of art school and this nice apartment.

Jane barely had time to grab a shower and change her clothes, she had to rush to the door, snagging her purse from off the floor. She stopped in the doorway before turning back to face Isla. "Did you make your decision?"

"I...maybe."

Isla's head hurt. Her decision, which had seemed rock solid the night before, had gone to shit in the light of the morning. Now she didn't know what to do all over again. Her courage left.

She shouldn't have gone to sleep. She should have just called Arturo's office and left a message saying she would agree to his terms.

She blamed the beer for this.

Jane bit her bottom lip. She was clearly torn with getting back to her job at the university on time, and staying to make sure Isla didn't do something stupid.

"Just go before you're late. I'll text you before anything happens," she said, waving Jane off.

Jane looked behind her and down the hall, as though there were people who were waiting for her to show up already.

Then she looked back at Isla. "Make sure you text me, got it?"

Isla nodded. "I will."

Jane still looked incredibly unsure, but she had to go. She even blew Isla one of her flirty kisses before taking off.

The apartment was so quiet with her gone. And it smelled of last night's pizza and beer. One of the bottles had spilled in the carpet.

Great.

Isla had all day to basically do whatever she wanted. She hadn't expected Arturo to give in so easily, but neither had she made plans for anything else because, well, nerves she supposed.

She should have spent this day searching for a job. She still owed Jane some rent, but now she had to go through the terror to deciding whether or not go through with Arturo's deal all over again.

She kept her mind busy for the rest of the morning by cleaning the carpet. It was nine-thirty, and it was suddenly noon incredibly quickly.

Her heart thundered as she realized the time. Only another two hours to make her decision if she wanted to give Arturo a visit and let him know what she was going to do.

Of course, she could always call him, which just gave her a little less than three hours.