Chapter Twenty-Nine - More Family Secrets

Chapter Twenty-Nine

"I can't believe your girlfriend got us our pillows," Silvio said with a moan.

His voice was muffled because of the way he pressed his face into that pillow as he lay crookedly on the sofa. It made Arturo want to walk right over to him with the pitcher of ice water in his hand and dump it right over the idiot's head, but he just couldn't bring himself to be that cruel.

"She's not my girlfriend." They were lovers, technically, but even that seemed to intimate a word to describe her.

Orlando gave Arturo a look, the one Arturo tended to be on the receiving end of whenever he said or did something untoward.

Like announce to his brother that Isla was not important enough to even hold the title of Arturo's girlfriend.

Arturo stared at his brother, daring the man to say anything.

Orlando didn't. He shook his head and returned his attention to the papers he'd been reading.

And he was reading them in a pair of cotton pajama bottoms and a navy blue T-shirt. Isla hadn't just brought their pillows from home, but also their sleepwear.

There was no way a good girl like her had rifled through their drawers. She must have sent Martina to fetch them, which made sense because Arturo didn't sleep in anything. He preferred it that way. Martina would have noticed, considering she did the ironing, and so for Arturo to sleep in, a pair of comfortable joggers.

Isla must have realized the same thing when Martina had brought out his clothing. Had it shocked her? Or would it arouse her?

Not that he could think much about fucking her in the state he was in now, and considering how shit he looked, it was likely the last thing on her mind as well.

Though, the extra gestures had been...appreciated. He would give her that. It definitely felt marginally better in here now that it was clean and they all had something from home.

They'd been running on fumes. Isla had been right. Arturo hadn't even realized things had deteriorated to the point that the empty take out containers were forming a small mountain in the trash bin. He'd been so focused on work that he hadn't even allowed Sylvia to do more for him than remind him of calls he needed to take for the company, and that there were meetings he needed to cancel.

If he continued on with dodging his work like this, he might just put himself out of business.

That might actually make Vincenzio all the more furious with him. He should probably do it. Sell the entire fucking thing off. That would teach the old bastard a thing or two, wouldn't it?

But even with everything happening around him now, he had to admit, that Isla King wasn't the stuck up princess bitch he'd thought she was that day they'd first met.

Orlando certainly liked her enough to keep coming to her defense. Arturo was going to have to have a talk with his younger brother, and soon. Apparently, where Isla was concerned, Orlando seemed to think Arturo was the big bad wolf.

The fact that she'd brought them back their pillows and some clothes to sleep in, instead of just to wear around the office, only seemed to endear her more to his brothers.

Silvio looked at him, and even when his eyes were half lidded and tired from only averaging two to three hours of sleep a night, he still had that look that Arturo knew too well. "So, not your girlfriend, huh?"

A hot, swelling something rose up in Arturo's chest. "Don't even think about it."

Silvio grinned tiredly at him. "Okay, whatever you say."