21

~Ophelia's POV~

"So you mean, he did something like that?" Kelly asked me she packed her hair into a bun in front of the mirror.

"Yes, he hit me on the cheek you had hit also." I said with a small frown.

"Really? So sorry about that. It was just reflex. I am sorry." She said again. I nodded my head.

"Anyways, Demetrius got him arrested and also I don't think he would be leaving there anytime soon." I said with a shrug as I applied my face cleanser.

"Wow, you really got a good boss. He is caring." She said and that made me roll my eyes.

"He is caring?" I said with an amused scoff.

"Guess, you don't know who my boss is. He is cold and heartless billionaire in the whole of Texas. Who doesn't know his name?" I said.

She smiled. "But from the way he protected you against Jeremy, I don't think that describes him."

And I felt the truth in her words but I chose to ignore it, only know the pain I suffered from him.

"Well, let us just say that that *caring* attitude of his comes and goes in a jiffy." I snorted and clamped my fingers together. She chuckled.

"Why do I sense a brewing romance between you two?" She wondered and sat down on the couch.

"Keep sensing cause it is never happening." I said and hurried into the room before she could question me again.

Well, I don't think there could such thing between him and I. Like I find it hard to understand him.

But what I solely think is that he is hiding under that shield of *Heartless and Cold*.

Who cares anyways?

I brought out my phone and dialed my mom's number. It rang for few seconds before she finally picked it.

"Hi, mom." I greeted.

"Hi, dear. How are you doing?" She asked me.

"Fine and you?" I replied.

"I'm good. Are you alright over there? I mean how is work and all?" She asked.

"Work is fine. I actually called to hear your voice." I said. I actually wanted to tell her about Jeremy but I felt like it would get her so worried. There is no one there to take care of her. So... Let me leave it for another day. Maybe the day I visit her.

"Okay then. Talk to you later." She said and hung up.

I released a breath of relief and laid on my back.

Demetrius...

~Demetrius' POV~

"Yes, mom. He was molesting her inside the car." I told her.

"Really? What did you do to him?" She asked?

"What do you expect me to do? I gave him few punches and got to the cops to arrest him." I answered with a shrug as I gulped down the glass of water. We were at dining table and we were eating desert. My favorite part of the night, eating what my mother cooked.

"So what of the lady?" She asked.

Gosh, my mom could be so considerate and affectionate some times that it tires me out.

"I drove her home." I said. I know the great fit she would have thrown if I told her that I did not because Ophelia was a troublesome person. Well, I'm thankful I did anyways.

"Wow, that is so good of you. Dimitri." Maureen said and I passed her a smile of pride.

"Thank you. Now you see, you have to defend and stand up for people who are facing injustice or who need help. You don't just get to walk away. Always lend a helping hand but that does not mean you should interfere in what does not concern you." I advised and she nodded.

"Well, I guess mom gave birth to heroes because just like the way you saved that lady, I also save some of my friends from being bullied." She said.

"And that's my baby. You are always brave and bold." I cooed as I reached out to grab her cheeks and she blushed.

What can I do without her?

When my mom told me she was expecting a kid, I was gobsmacked, like how was it possible?

But she was already into it.

Then my dad passed on five years later, I then took their responsibility and started fending for them.

Well, my dad's properties was shared between Ryan who is the eldest, I as the second child and Maureen as the third child. There was even some argument that Maureen should not get a share of the properties. But my mother stood against it and she collected it with her own share also. But guess, who is handling everything?

Me. I am the one with their properties. I made sure to work hard to get to this height that I am. Even though I almost let everyone down and everything almost crumble down. But my mother and sister gave me the support I needed and I was able to stand up to my feet.

Well, what happened then is a story for the future.

"Brother, do you know what a crush is?" She asked me and I almost spat out the water in my mouth.

"What?! Crush?!" I asked with a shocked expression as I looked in between her and my mother. My mother shook her head while I looked back at her.

"No, I mean when a car is being crushed in an accident." She replied coyly.

Better!

Or else, I will chop every hand that dare lay a finger on her.

"I have had enough. Mom, I'm going to bed." She said and ran upstairs.

I watched her back and then turned towards my mother who was already packing the dishes we used.

"She is quite cunning, isn't she?" She said with a smile.

"Yes, she is." I replied.

"But my baby girl is getting older, you can't keep being that overprotective brother." She said and I stood up to follow her to the kitchen.

"Emery called today." She said and I stopped dead in my tracks.

"Why did she call you?" I said, trying to keep the building anger from bursting out.

"She said she has been trying to get to you but she could not and also she apologized to me." She said it as if it was nothing. She turned to with an amused smile.

"What did you expect me to tell her? That I forgive her for what she did to me? For what she did to you? For the damages she caused our family? Well, no! I told her that I forgive her but I don't want her any where you or Maureen, or me." She said with her nose flared up in rage.

Well, that is to say that it is not only me that get angry whenever we hear that name Emery.

We all hate her. But what could we do?

She tried ruining us. But thank goodness, she was caught on quick.

But she kind of ruined me. In some ways I can't tell anyone. Yet.