v. Outer Banks

v. Writing Help
Outer Banks

𓇻 Notes,Below will be common characterisation errors as well as cliches to avoid, as well as plot help and a list of relatively underrated faceclaims that can work well within the fandom, and more

𓇻 Notes,
Below will be common characterisation errors as well as cliches to avoid, as well as plot help and a list of relatively underrated faceclaims that can work well within the fandom, and more.
These are my opinions. You may not agree with them, and that's okay, but hate will not be tolerated.
If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

John B Routledge.
Main character. John B is the main character. This is his show, and I understand that you can prefer some characters over others but he exists too and is criminally underrated and disliked, and for what, I don't know. Your book might not be about him but he still exists and plays a huge role in the plot.
Misogyny. Quoted from my friend, "leave my gender-fluid baddie Johnathan Beyoncé Routledge alone". John B is not a misogynist and honestly, I don't know where some of you get that from, he's literally a Harry James Potter variant.

Kiara Carrera.
Villainising. Stop villainising Kiara just because you want your character to be with JJ. I understand that you might not like her but you're the writer, you're allowed to rewrite her character and make her more than just a love interest.
Sexuality. I understand that it hasn't been explicitly stated, which is why some of you may disagree and argue against it, but I am personally a firm believer in the lesbian Kiara agenda. Even if you do disagree, that's your opinion, but it does not give you the right to send hate to others who do believe in it and choose to use it in their stories.
Stealing lines. Kiara is a valid member of the group and even if you do dislike her character, it doesn't mean you can forget about her either. It certainly doesn't mean you're allowed to replace her character with yours and give your character her lines, you're allowed to add in a bit of originality and personality.

Pope Heyward.
Perfect child. Pope is a chaotic felon. He is not the goody two shoes that you all write him out to be. The same problem occurs with Remus, you all assume them to be the perfect role models, and while that may be how they present themselves to adults, that is not their whole personality; they're chaotic and mischievous. They wouldn't be friends with or even be as close to the others if they didn't agree with or if chaos wasn't a fundamental part of who they are.

Rafe Cameron.
Romanticism. Please stop romanticising his actions. What he is doing is wrong. I understand that there's a lot of depth and trauma behind his actions and why he is who he is and does what he does but that doesn't make it okay. None of his actions are okay. The absolute fact is that Rafe Cameron desperately needs jail and therapy, probably both simultaneously. You can write alternate universes where he's a better person but you can't write ones in this reality where he's done all of those things and justify them with a love interest where he changes with the flick of a switch and we all have a happy ending. That doesn't exist and the 'you can fix him' mentality is extremely damaging and harmful to people reading this, especially younger audiences. He is capable of toxic relationships, but nothing more, and you have the responsibility to provide an example to younger users.
Violence. While Rafe is a violent character, it doesn't make sense for him to immediately hurt your character with barely an interaction. It needs to be something he feels he can justify in his mind, something that makes it okay to him, so chocking your character within seconds of meeting them doesn't exactly match that or make much sense, even for him.