- chapter 1 -

CORDELIA

The ocean felt cool on Cordelia's legs. Her shoes were discarded behind her on the pier. Gentle waves lapped around, some splashing higher onto her dress. Leaving wet patches that she couldn't care less about. The sun had only just risen enough to cause a mixture of pinks, purples, and oranges on the clouds. It was a pretty view. The early mornings in District Four were calm. Most people were still asleep, and those who were awake didn't tend to go and sit on the piers.

For Cordelia, it had become a habit. Second nature for her. She'd wake up while it was still dark and wander through the town to the docks. Then she'd sit down, legs dangling into the water, and watch the sunrise.

"You know, you'll almost certainly catch a cold if you keep forgetting to bring a jacket." A recognizable voice spoke, followed by a new warmth draping over her shoulders. A woollen cardigan, in a familiar cream colour.

"Finnick," she breathed. He moved to sit beside her, fixing her hair so it wouldn't be uncomfortably bunched under the new layer. He leaned back on his hands beside her, taking in the salty breeze. She followed his lead in laying down, closing her eyes, and matching her breathing with his. The two sat together in silence.

Cordelia had met Finnick when they were much younger, they'd both been put in the academy program around the same time. Despite being a year apart in age they were in the same class. It was required in District Four that every child be trained. Most families enrolled their children young, to ensure they had training if ever they were reaped. He'd gained popularity among their classmates pretty fast. A charming personality, good looks, and impressive trident-wielding skills. She would be lying if she said she hadn't been drawn toward the boy, but the crowd he drew was rather intimidating. Especially in her first few academy years. The thought was overwhelming for her small six-year-old self.

Avoiding him hadn't done much either, her firey red hair didn't leave much of an opportunity to blend in or hide away. As well as her skin, a milky white and dotted with pale freckles, compared to the much more common sun-kissed tan native to District Four. For some reason, he'd decided to befriend her. Little seven-year-old Finnick Odair had made it his own personal mission. It took a year or so before he could even talk to her without her slipping away. Despite it all he kept trying and once he was nine, he finally managed to befriend her.

It had lasted too. Cordelia assumed he'd move on to another group or at least someone else, but he hadn't. Over the next five years, they'd only grown closer.

She was dragged out of her thoughts when she felt her hair moving around. Hands working softly to braid sections together. Something Finnick did often. She had asked about it once, why he braided parts of her hair together. According to him, it was like 'a calming reminder of home, of something familiar. It's grounding.' After answering he took a second before frantically asking if it bothered her, assuring her he'd stop. She brushed him off, claiming it was just curiousity and she didn't mind. Besides, it didn't feel half bad either.

"Delia, are you nervous?" His question was simple. It could've been in regard to anything. But she knew what he was asking.

"Finn... until the day we turn eighteen I'll always be nervous." Her answer was honest. It didn't matter that it was only her second reaping, his third. The very thought of each of their names being in the draw once more than the previous year, made her shiver.

Letting her words carry and the reality of the day set in, the two watched the sun rise higher into the sky. Soon they'd have to leave to get ready for today's reaping, but the ocean was calming. Like an escape. Their own little paradise away from the rest of the world.

"There, it's perfect." Finnick had finished her braid. One big fishtail braid that used all of her hair, and had smaller normal three-strand braids woven in. He always did her hair for her on reaping day. It let him focus on something else. Something that had helped him on his first reaping day. Just a nervous little boy, trying his best to distract himself from the fear of being reaped. After that, it became a tradition even if it was only a few years old. Finnick had claimed it gave him good luck. Regardless of whether or not he would be picked, he'd have good luck. When she'd questioned his logic and asked him to explain he'd said that if he wasn't picked, that was his good luck, and if he was picked, then the good luck would help him in the capital with sponsors and winning. She'd laughed at that.