- chapter 14 -

FINNICK

Despite finally admitting to Cordelia that her presence helped him sleep, hours passed, and he was no closer to resting. He knew she was safe, and could see her softly breathing beside him. Instead of enjoying the comfort of having a visual reminder, a physical thing he could actually touch, Finnick was struggling with the most recent letter he had received from the Capitol. From Snow.

The man hadn't been shy in his threats. Finnick wasn't stupid. Housefires in District Four? You'd have much higher chances of finding a stylist for the games that didn't dress District Twelve up like coal miners. If Snow hadn't directly mentioned Cordelia, Finnick would be much more assertive in his refusal. But unfortunately, that wasn't the case. As much as Finnick hated to admit it, Snow was a whole lot smarter than he got credit for. It was just too bad that Snow was a total asshole. Just the other day, a letter arrived with nothing but a list of names. For better or for worse, Mags had been the one to open it. She'd hesitantly asked him about it when Cordelia had gone to grab some towels to bring to the beach. Without hesitation, he'd thrown the letter into the fireplace watching as it burned. As he angrily stared at the smouldering remains Mags said nothing about his actions. She put her hand on his shoulder and asked, 'Later?'. Finnick only nodded in response and put on a smile as Cordelia raced downstairs. Cordelia greeted Mags then raced out the door headed towards to beach. Finnick had followed instantly.

Spending the day with Delia at the beach had been a nice distraction, so much so when they'd returned he'd forgotten all about the 'later' Mags was waiting to talk with him about. There were plenty of other opportunities to talk to Mags. It was his inability to work up the courage to actually talk to her that stopped him. How was he supposed to explain what had happened? 'Oh yes Mags, Snow basically wants me to be a prostitute for the Capitol. He used a nicer word but I'm not interested. Not being interested hurts me, and hurts the people I love. Did you know I'm the reason my parents are dead?' Something about that conversation was just not working for him.

But he had to tell someone. Mags would understand. Right? She was a Victor herself, maybe she would know exactly what was happening. He couldn't tell Delia. Oh to even just imagine how that conversation would go. 'Hey Delia, I know we kind of already confessed to each other but Snow wants me to be with anyone in the Capitol that wants me. But we can still be together. We can make it work.' Yeah, no. Even on the off chance she didn't mind, he would never willingly put her into that situation. What kind of person would do that? The wave of guilt that he would be drowning her in, in that scenario. There was no way Finnick would ever let himself do that. If the roles were reversed he wouldn't be happy, even if he did understand why. And she didn't understand. He hadn't told her about what was in that very first letter.

Cordelia was still asleep beside him, she'd curled towards his direction when he'd joined her in the bed. If he could enjoy this moment right now he would wrap her tightly in his arms and keep her close. So close that Snow wouldn't be able to touch her.

...

˙· 𓆝.° 。˚𓆛˚。 °.𓆞 ·˙

...

When Cordelia had brought up the idea of a walk into town to do some shopping Finnick hadn't expected to end up with almost everything they'd bought precariously balanced in his arms. He was a couple more strawberries away from his whole tower toppling over.

"Remind me again why we need this much fruit in one trip?"

"Finnick I told you I can carry it if you are just going to keep complaining." The woven basket she carried that still lay empty was proof of that.

"I'm not complaining." He explained. "I'm simply confused at how you think three people are going to get through this within the next couple of days."

"You're not even carrying that much fruit. Besides I like it. And this trip is lasting three people at least a week." She turned to look at him. "Did you expect Mags to go out and get all this on her own? You're young Finn, you'll survive."