Emery

The cafeteria is the worst place to be when you don't like people. It's loud and no one pays attention to what they are doing. Normally I would be in my car but I didn't have money for food today and my parents put in money for my lunch account. Might as well use it now. I cringe as a kid runs past me screaming about something stupid with his friend. This sucks.

An arm wraps around my shoulder and I stiffen," You look uncomfortable, Emery."

I look over when I recognize the voice. Ace, I think is his name," I don't like people."

Ace nods with an understanding look," Don't worry, I don't either. So loud for no reason."

I nod as I let Ace lead me through the line," Where is everyone else?"

Ace looks confused before he realizes who I mean," They already have their food. I noticed how uncomfortable you looked and I came to save the day," He's quiet for a moment," I also just wanted to get away from an annoying argument between Simon and Aaron."

"Okay, I remember Ron," Ace chuckles," But which one was Simon again? I'm really bad with names."

"Simon is the blonde one," I nod remembering the face. He's the only one with blonde hair out of the group," Don't worry yourself too much about names. They won't judge you if you don't get them immediately."

I nod, paying for my food and I pause for a moment," Do you care if I eat with you guys?"

Ace raises an eyebrow," Why would we care?"

I shrug," Some guys are weird."

Ace nods with a knowing smile before leading me to their table," How do you know Jason? You seem to know each other well but I've never seen you two together."

"Our families are friends," I explain setting my tray down next to Jason," We've known each other since we were newborns."

Jason smiles at me taking some of the food off my plate," You've known me since you were a newborn. I'm older."

I roll my eyes," By a month, you idiot. That still counts as a newborn."

He raises his hands in mock surrender," Still older," I stick my tongue out at him and he mocks me," Surprised you sat here. I feel we might ruin your reputation as the quiet kid."

"You know I'm not that quiet," I flick his head," and I don't have a reputation."

Simon speaks up," No, you do. I've never heard you talk unless you were answering a question no one else knew," I look at him confused for a moment. How does he know that?" We have chemistry together."

I nod," Oh yeah!"

Jason snorts beside me and I stomp on his foot," What was that for?"

"Don't laugh at me."

"I didn't laugh, I snorted," He clarifies and I glare at him," It's just sad that you don't know your classmates, grumpy."

I roll my eyes," I don't like people and you know this."

"Are you sure about that," Aaron smiles at me and I smile back. He's nice," You were pretty talkative yesterday and you didn't even know us."

I shrug," You're Jason's friends so I felt more comfortable. He talks about you a lot so I already know how most of you act."

Jason stiffens slightly as his team looks at him with adoration," You talk about us, Cap? How sweet!"

I watch as Jason's cheeks turn red and he glares at me," Look what you did."

I smile at him," I'm not sorry. Ace is his favorite so don't get your hopes up."

Ace snorts and Aaron pouts," Not surprising," Xavier, I think, says with a shrug," Ace is a lot more compassionate than the rest of you asses."

Jason rubs a hand down his face as the group starts arguing over who was the better person," Cruel cruel girl."

I lean into him and he adjusts so it's more comfortable for both of us," I don't know what you mean."

He chuckles and it rumbles through my back. He's always so comfortable.

~A few days later~

I skate off the rink and I'm greeted by Jason and his team. I didn't know they were coming today," How do you look so good out there," Simon greets me with that question.

I stutter to find an answer," I, uh, I don't know. Practice, I guess."

"Em, do you think I could be as good as you with practice," Jason asks me, wrapping an arm around my shoulder.

"No," I say blandly," You would still look like a baby deer learning to walk with two broken legs. Stick with hockey, you're good at it."

He holds a hand over his heart," You hear that guys. She thinks I'm good at hockey."

"She just compared you to a baby deer with two broken legs learning how to walk and you say "She thinks I'm good at hockey"?" Ace snorts," She's right. You are an idiot."

Jason glares at Ace and I snort," thank you. What are you guys doing here? You don't have your gear."

"We're going to the mall and then dinner," Malachi explains," We wanted to know if you would go."

"I already asked your mom and she said it was good with her," Jason tells me with a hopeful look in his eyes.

I hold it for a moment before nodding," It is really weird to me that you text my mom about things, Jay."

"But it's not," Jason pokes my side and I slap his hand away with a small giggle," let's go gang."

I cringe," You spend too much time with my dad."

"Lies!"

"Ry, where are you going," Isaac calls to me," I thought we were going to eat before I drop you off?"

Shit," Sorry, Isaac. Maybe next time," I didn't really want to anyway. I turn back to the group," Before we go, can I change into normal clothes. You guys can enjoy staring at me in this but I don't need anyone else to."

Jason unwraps his arm from around me," Disappointing. I quite like you in tiny skirts."

I elbow him in the gut and he curses," You don't get to stare. Everyone else can."

Aaron smirks and a few other guys snicker," Why are you so strong, Em. Jesus."

"Baby."

I pat his cheek and he gives me a pained smile before I saunter into the locker rooms. I can here Jason say something but I don't know what. He says it too quietly for me to hear.