1. Prologue

๑ 🥀 ๑

Dragging her heavy black boots along the frozen white trench she tried to engulf herself a little more in the thick dark brown jacket she was clad in. It was evening and the sun hadn't shown up for three days now so keeping track of day and night was almost invalid. The hijab plus snood around her neck was of great aid too but she was shivering either way, her lips dry-chapped and quivering at the cold.

Snow was swept off the wooden porch, but it was moist and shining when she finally reached out for the knock on the door. Frigid air whiffed around her making her regret ever leaving the solace of her house, but this was a priority too since she had procrastinated a little too much and the deadline was the next day.

"Look who decided to bless our humble abode today?" Words dripping with sarcasm were the first thing she listened to when the door unlocked to reveal a teenage boy, with a game controller revolving in his hand.

"Move aside" she hissed, hurrying inside and the instantaneous fervency from the heater felt like a blessing straight from heavenly heaven!

Declining the boots off by the door she flopped down on the sofa to draw a long breath of relief. "Where's Auntie?" she questioned the sixteen year old boy who jumped in front of the screen and started playing his game right away ignoring her question.

"Did you attend the door Shayan?" The boy's mother, came out of the kitchen holding a small box in her hands and shot up her eyebrows in delight on spotting Yusra.

"Assalamualaikum auntie" She immediately got up from the sofa when the lady pulled her into a quick hug.

"Walekum assalam. How have you been?"

"Absolutely fine." She answered with a wide grin plastered on rosebud lips, "Is Shazal home?"

"Where else would he be, with exams forth?" Of course, he would be studying hushed up inside the four walls of his room trapped like a jailbird, never vacating until the cursed era is over.

"I need his help with something" she notified the reason she was in their house.

"Is it your project again?" Shayan paused the game specifically turning to give her a taunting look.

"Yes, so what?" she begrudgingly retorted.

"Tch I don't understand why are you the one gaining the marks of his hard work."