Chapter Seven, Part Two - Business As Usual

Proctor and Sool was a tall, pointed building. It was several floors worth of dark, hooded windows, and shiny, one-way glass. A building more than worthy of a firm like P&S, even Humans reacted to the invisible magnitude of daunting power that it exuded. But it was the fellow Supernaturals of Harbor who recognized the influence of the Undead who controlled P&S. Regardless, they continued to prey on the wallets of the victims and criminals who passed through the law firm's doors. The Vampires were only safe from persecution because for once blood had nothing to do with it.

Addy and I sat in her car, parked on the side of the street opposite the law firm.

"Ready for this?" Adelle smirked with anticipation.

"As I'll ever be." Confident, I slipped my sunglasses on and unfastened my hair to let it fall around my shoulders. "It'll be easy. All I have to do is avoid Franks and go straight for Claire. Wish me luck?"

"Screw luck - she's a bitch. Just go in there, fuck some shit up, and make momma proud."

* * *

Rounding the corner of the short hallway, I felt a surge of adrenaline. Before opening the door to the waiting room of Mr. Frank's office, I pulled up the collar of my Burberry trench coat and put on a smile. I then slipped inside, locking the door quietly behind me before advancing further into the room.

"Can I help you?"

Claire Briton sat behind an expensive, mahogany desk, looking important, bored, and idyllically unaware of the giant wrecking ball that was soon to come smashing into the walls of her life. She was middle-aged, but youthful in a long-sleeved blouse of violet silk that was tucked into a tight, pencil skirt. The deep cut of the blouse showed off her ample cleavage, while the understated seductiveness of her stockings complimented her slender legs. Looking down at Claire, with her blonde hair and big blue eyes, I had no trouble understanding the reasons why a scumbag Human like Franks would hire her.

"Yes, and you can start by opening this." Smiling pleasantly, I removed two envelopes from my bag and set one on the desk.

"Is this a package for Mr. Franks?" She gave me a blank stare.

"No, Claire. It's for you."

She looked at the envelope, and then back to me. "What's this about?" said Claire in a low voice, blue eyes flashing. "Are you with the IRS? Are you a bill collector? Because listen - I already told you people - I don't have any money -"

"I'm not a bill collector. Just open the envelope." I glanced at Franks' office door. His shadow indicated he was still seated at his own desk, oblivious of my presence for now.

Claire opened the envelope and shook out its contents. Three glossy, black and white photographs of Claire and Franks spilled onto the desk. Frantic, she scooped them up, her face trapped behind a mask of horror.

"Who are you?" She stood, furious. "How did you get these?"