09| Encounters Under Twilight

23rd September, 1998

Draco stared at the ink-stained parchment. He'd read the letter so many times, the words were starting to jumble up in his mind.

Yet, he held onto it as if holding on to his life.

He traced the Love, Mum at the end of the letter with a shaky finger. The words had been scrawled as if she was in a hurry.

His mind went into hyper-dive as the scenarios flooded in.

Of his mother being tortured. Of her being dragged away by either the Death Eaters or the Ministry. Of her being bled to unconsciousness. Of her calling for his help.

He closed his fist around the letter, crumpling it down. He started at the fire flickering in front of him and every part of him screamed at him to do something. To somehow fly from Hogwarts back to his Manor to make sure his Mum was okay.

The only reason he wasn't captured by the Ministry yet was because of McGonagall and Hogwarts.

After the war, the Malfoy's had become fugitives from both sides. The safest option for them had been to go into hiding.

His letter from Hogwarts hadn't just been an invitation to complete his studies. It had been an offer of sanctuary.

Draco understood when Blaise and Pansy had told him about their letters, about being called back, about being promised safety. They hadn't played any major role in the war.

But his letter had come as a shock both to him and his parents. His mother had promised him that they would stay safe if he went back. Both of them had forced him to go back.

He had fought and shouted and struggled against them. He had begged them to let him stay with them so that he could make sure they were safe but his parents hadn't budged.

Draco had relented at last. But not before silently casting a spell on them. A spell that would let him know if they were in trouble.

He pulled out the locket from under his robes and let it dangle in front of him. It was an heirloom with the Malfoy family crest on it.

A silver M with the backdrop of a green and black banner. A dragon curved and twisted around the M and beneath it were the words 'Sanctimonia Vincet Semper' in silver.

Draco had enchanted it in such a way that it was now connected to his parents. The locket showed everything was normal but his mother's letter suggested otherwise.

He sighed, letting his head fall back. His stock of sleeping draught was running low. He'd soon have to buy more. His body protested on the mere thought of more potions in his system but he ignored it.

A sound behind him made him turn around towards the stairs and a shriek followed his movements.

Hermione Granger stood on the last step of the dormitory stairs, her wand now lit, casting a shadow behind her. She had her hand on her chest, eyes wide.