04| Dorms

Hermione's body screamed at her, the exhaustion soaking out every bit of energy from her. Her legs protested with every step she took.

"Maybe the butterfly's lost too," she said miserably to Luna and Ernie.

"It's a magical butterfly. I don't think it can get lost," Ernie replied, sounding equally miserable.

They had followed the butterfly through the castle to the seventh floor. They had crossed the Room of Requirements on their way but still, the butterfly moved on.

Just when they hit a dead end and were dreading climbing another set of stairs, it vanished with a puff of smoke.

The wall in front of them was covered by a portrait of the four founders, all of whom were snoozing peacefully

Helga Hufflepuff had her head on Gryffindor's shoulder while he rested his head against the top of Hufflepuff's head. Salazar Slytherin had his arm around Rowena Ravenclaw's waist while he rested his head against the back of the sofa in what seemed like a pretty painful position.

Hermione cleared her throat loudly. The three didn't respond in the least but Slytherin cracked an eye open, looking at the four of them with an annoyed expression.

"Albus." A gruff voice called and Slytherin's eyes found Malfoy before he gave the slightest nod and the painting swung sideways, revealing a large opening in the wall.

They stepped into the huge common room, decorated with bright wallpaper and paintings. The fire was crackling merrily in the fireplace and just above the fireplace was a large picture of the Hogwarts crest.

Next to the fireplace was a large window with mahogany frames that covered almost the entire length of the wall. It gave the view of the lake outside but right now, there was only darkness, the moonlight reflecting off the calm surface of the lake.

The whole room was magnificent with two staircases leading to the left and the right side of the room.

Hermione's tired mind tried to take as many details as possible until it finally gave up and Hermione stopped moving in a circle, feeling a little dizzy.

"I'm going to bed," she announced, mostly for Luna and the blond nodded, following Hermione towards the left staircase. 

The hallway was narrow and dimly lit with a velvet carpet spread over the floor.

The first door she came across on her right had a bronze nameplate on it with 'Ms. Lovegood' engraved on it.

"You want help settling in?" she asked Luna.

"No, it's okay. We're both tired. Let's leave settling in for tomorrow," she replied.

Hermione nodded gratefully before continuing.

Her room was only five steps away from Luna's.

It had a mahogany nameplate attached to it with 'Ms. Granger' engraved on it.

The hallway ended after five more steps, the wall fitted with a little exhaust window to let the light in.

Hermione turned the knob and pushed the door open and was immediately hit with a wave of nostalgia.

The interior looked exactly like the Gryffindor girls' dormitory. She saw her luggage placed neatly near her bed and she opened Crookshank's basket and the cat leaped into her lap.

She patted the ginger cat, feeling the sort of peace that only Hogwarts brought.

___________