01| Four months later

Amazing gif banner by ventresses

1st September 1998.

"I'll miss you guys," Hermione said, hugging both Ron and Harry one by one.

"We'll miss you too 'Mione," Harry said hugging her back, and Hermione noted with a rush of relief that his eyes had started getting back their hopeful gleam.

"We'll write to you," Ron added.

"Every hour of every day," Harry said grinning widely at them both.

"That'll be fun," Ron said with a grin matching Harry's.

"Please don't do that," Hermione said trying to sound annoyed but she was smiling.

"Hermione dear, come on or we'll be late." Mrs. Weasley shouted from behind and Hermione gave each of them another quick hug and rushed towards the sleek black car parked in front of the Burrow.

The ministry had provided special services to all the war survivors which explained the car now parked in front of her as she hugged Mr. and Mrs. Weasley thanking them over and over again while Mrs. Weasley waved a dismissing hand with a huge smile on her face.

Hermione saw Ginny from the corner of her eye as she took Harry and disappeared to a side.

She slipped inside the car, watching Ginny running towards them and she scooted over, giving her space.

She watched Ron and Harry waving to them, smiles etched onto their faces and Hermione wanted to store them in her memories. She was afraid of what this year would feel like without Ron and Harry.

Part of the magic about Hogwarts was her friends. She wasn't sure how she would manage without Harry's tendency to find himself in unusual situations and Ron's stupid jokes.

"So, head girl huh?" Ginny asked, breaking the silence.

Between her trips to Australia and exhaustive research, Hermione hadn't had the time to talk to Ginny or anyone else much.

"Yeah," Hermione grinned but Ginny's smile turned into a frown.

"You're not happy?" she asked and Hermione quickly tried to mask her expression.

"That obvious?" she asked with a little chuckle.

Ginny grimaced and shrugged.

"I'm happy but... I feel like I don't deserve it," she admitted.