00| Prologue

May 2, 1998

It was the day when the wizarding world of Britain was finally free. 

The day when light conquered the darkness.

The day when Voldemort was finally vanquished.

It was also the day when Harry Potter first held little Teddy Lupin in his arms. The weight on his chest was a thousand times heavier than the little boy in his arms. Teddy's hair was bubblegum pink and Harry couldn't help but think of Nymphadora Tonks.

His heart ached for Teddy. He knew how it felt to grow up without parents. Teddy yawned and gripped Harry's finger tightly and at that moment he promised himself that he would never let Teddy feel alone. He'd never let him have a childhood as he did. He'd give him all the love that he could. 

He looked at him one last time. He was the exact copy of Remus Lupin except for of course his hair. The person who had taught Harry so much and who meant so much to him.

He handed little Teddy to Andromeda Tonks whose face was streaked with tears. A woman who lost everything because of the war. First her husband, then her daughter and son-in-law. She held onto her grandson tightly. After all, he was the only person left for her.

It was also the day the Weasleys mourned the loss of Fred Weasley. Ron Weasley sat in a corner, his face void of any emotion as he stared at nothing in particular. Mrs. Weasley sobbed loudly, her head resting on Mr. Weasley's shoulder. Mr. Weasley's face was streaked with tears and George Weasley was nowhere to be seen.

Hermione Granger sat in the other corner of the room, invisible and silent. She held back a choked sob as she looked at the Weasleys. She might not have lost a family member but she certainly did lose a lot of amazing people who meant more to her than her family.

The Weasleys were a family to her too.

As she sat there, her mind drifted back to him. To Draco Malfoy.

How he had blended himself with the crowd as if wanting to be swallowed by it but then Voldemort had spotted him and called him forward, asking him to join the death eaters.

And then, to Hermione's shock, his eyes had found hers in the crowd, the grey storm settling on her with such intensity she felt herself being suffocated.

It was the barest second but his expression seemed to have printed itself on the back of her mind and she couldn't shake it off.

He looked lost and so terrified. Completely different from the boy she was used to seeing strutting around the castle.

Hermione had tried to figure out the meaning behind that small action until sleep and exhaustion had taken over and she had drifted into a dreamless sleep.

Now, his face came back to her as if it had never left.

She shook her head and brought herself back to her surroundings. She watched Mr. Weasley mutter something to Mrs. Weasley as he got up and left the burrow with Bill and Percy.

Hermione knew they had gone to take the dead bodies of Fred, Lupin, and Tonks from Hogwarts.

Mrs. Weasley got up and walked towards Teddy and Andromeda. She sat down beside Andromeda and took Teddy from her.

Remus Lupin's words rang in her head loud and clear.

"And as for who's going to look after Ron and Ginny if you and Arthur died, what do you think we'd do, let them starve?"

She sniffled and kissed the top of Teddy's head.

"I'll never let you go hungry." She whispered to him before handing him back to Andromeda.

➶➶➶➶➶ - ➷➷➷➷➷

Hermione looked out of the window. The sunlight was coming in from the window, painting the room with a yellowish tinge.

A new day. A new beginning.

This was what she was fighting for since she was eleven. Despite the gloomy mood in the room, her lips turned upwards in a tiny smile.

That's when her gaze landed on the three figures which apparated on the lawn. Mr. Weasley was back. Her smile vanished as she saw the three limp bodies placed on the ground beside them.

She saw Mrs. Weasley running outside and she followed her numbly.

Her heart seized up and breathing became difficult as she watched the three bodies laying there.

It'll get better. Everything will be alright. She chanted in her head as she followed everyone outside the Burrow.

A\N: Thanks to the amazing AlexVonnG for the amazing end banner.

Do share your thoughts with me? Did you like the chapter? Are you hyped? Thanks a lot for reading.

Word count: [790 words]