THIRTY-FIVE

loïse madden 

.  .  .  .  .  .

"But what if all the teachers suddenly hate me because they think I was too lazy to come to class?", I ask, as I fidget with my fingers nervously. 

"They won't, and if they make a rude comment, tell them the truth or call me and I'll make sure they get it through their thick skull that you're not fucking lazy, okay?", Sebastian puts his hands on my shoulders. 

I nod, still not really believing him. If the teachers make rude comments today, I'll make sure to not call Sebastian or they'll have me get expelled. Or him, for being rude. I wouldn't want either to happen. 

Today's the first day after Christmas break and I can't hide how nervous I am. A lot of students in my classes know why I was absent the first few weeks before the break. Now what if they start treating me differently? I don't want them to be too nice. I also wouldn't want them to be rude or I'll start crying or something, wishing I'd stayed home today. 

"Okay?"

"Okay." I adjust the straps of my backpack, that's filled with way too many books and we walk to the door. 

"Wait", I say, before closing the door behind me. "What if they dropped my grades because I missed some tests?"

"They won't", Sebastian sighs. "Just tell them what happened if they ask about your absence, okay? Don't worry too much, Crystal will be there for you too."

"No, she won't", I tell him. "She's sick today. Her and Lewis broke up again and now she's throwing up every 10 minutes." 

"You'll be fine on your own, too", Sebastian closes the door for me to prevent me from running back inside. "Let's get to the car now or you'll be late."

Yeah, what if I'm late? It's already 20 past 8, classes start at half past. It's a 5 minute drive, but what if we get stuck in traffic? Being late is even more embarrassing than getting a bad grade. 

Fortunately, we don't arrive late. Sebastian drops me off at the labs a few minutes early, before he drives off to his own class. I already trip over my own feet before I've even set a foot out of the car. I hear him laugh beside me and shut his trap just as quickly as he started when I throw him a glance. 

"You think I missed out on a lot of important lectures?", I ask before shutting the door. He sighs again. I must annoy him with all the questions. 

"No, love. Or maybe you did, so what? You have reasons for that and you'll rehearse those lectures in no-time. Stop worrying so much."

"Sorry", I say, closing up the zipper of my jacket because holy moly, it's freakin' cold outside. Sebastian watches me in awe as I'm struggling with the zipper because this thing won't close for frick frack's sake. I keep getting the material of my jacket stuck in it. My woolen mittens being super clumsy are also not helping. 

"You really need me to help you with your zipper?", Sebastian rolls his eyes playfully, when he sees me looking for some much-needed help. He motions for me to get to his side, opening his car door already. 

"Thanks", I murmur as he closes up my jacket first try. That's only a tiny tiddie bit embarrassing for me. "It was just the mittens and stuff..."