15

─── ♔♔♔ ───

─── ♔♔♔ ───

My first engagement as a member of the royal family is... weird. Well, to start, I'm not fully a member yet, but the children are all so adorable, and they seemed to hang on every word I read aloud to them when it was my turn to read to them. Then we all did a little game with a multicoloured parachute thing. A few of the girls came up to me and hugged me tight, while the boys were all running around each other.

Watching the kids with Kai is special, though. He's read to them and now they're all doing colouring and painting together. A few of the girls keep blushing around him and one called him Prince Charming earlier.

"Miss?" A little girl approaches me.

I bend to her level, very careful of my dress. After the fall I took on national TV the other day, I do not want a repeat, especially with a few TV cameras and media cameras on me. "Hi, sweetheart. What's your name?"

"I'm Lily," she says. She's got a little lisp, and she's clearly nervous as she plays with her blonde ponytail. "Are you going to be a princess?"

I smile at her and nod. "I am! Soon, I'll be marrying Prince Kai." The real details of me being a princess in only title aren't important – I'll be a princess technically, so it's not a lie.

"Like Belle from Beauty and the Beast?" Lily asks.

I chuckle and nod. "A bit like her, yes! Is Belle your favourite princess?"

"Yeah! I love her yellow dress! Will you have one like that when you marry Prince Kai?"

"I don't know yet, Lily, but I'm sure the dress I have will be pretty!"

"You'll make a really pretty princess!" She suddenly leaps at me for a hug. After a second of being taken aback, I hug her and can't deny the smile that washes over my face.

"Thank you, Lily," I whisper when she lets me go. "I'll try to be the best princess ever! I've heard that the secret is to always be yourself and be true."

"That's what all the Disney princesses say!"

"They're all right! I think everyone is a princess in their own way, especially people like you. If you are true and yourself, you'll be the best one you can be."

She grins and runs off when her teacher gestures for her.

Kai comes and stands beside me when I stand up. "You're doing amazing. The kids love you."

I turn to face him and smooth down my dress. It's a black mid-length pinafore dress with a black and white roll-neck long-sleeved top underneath. I've got black high heels on as well, and though it's very not-me to look at, when I looked in the mirror this morning, I actually look really good. The dress hides the tiny bloat I have on today, too, which for now is the main thing.