18

─── ♔♔♔ ───

─── ♔♔♔ ───

I've only seen Stonehenge from the car before, but seeing it up close is weird. I imagine it's a tiny wonder compared to when you see the Pyramids or something. The stones are absolutely massive, though even we're not allowed up close. The Dahlia Festival is among the smaller stones the National Trust allows people to touch close by, and spreads across to the visitor centre inside.

Kai told me on the way here that the Crown Estate owns Stonehenge, but it's managed by the National Trust and English Heritage.

I follow him around the festival, looking at each display of dahlia flowers and arrangements, including a trilithon made of dahlias and greenery – the shape of the stones, Kai explained – and watch on as all the visitors and flower experts stare between the show and us.

The whole area smells sweet and fragrant. When I looked it up on the information sheet they gave us, it read some people sometimes mistake a dahlia scent for jasmine, and I can see it. I think it's the honka surprise that has a fragrant note. Some of them don't have any scent at all, which they've put in a different part of the festival, so people with allergies can go to one specific part of the festival.

"We'll get headdresses soon," Kai whispers. "They're making them now."

I grin. "Really? Won't they be heavy?"

He shakes his head. "No, they'll be more like flower crowns for us. Don't worry."

"I like this one." I point out a small arrangement of different dahlias in pink and purple. "The waterlily one is my favourite so far."

"You're thinking for the hero award thing?"

"Yeah, it looks cute. Waterlilies also mean birth and new starts, just like dahlias. It's to do with their ability to grow from the water. Could be worth noting in the speech," I say.

He meets my gaze. We know why I'm saying it; when we award the hero dahlia thing, Kai plans on announcing the pregnancy, so my idea fits quite well.

"I'll keep that in mind, Peach. Not just a pretty face after all," he jokes.

"Shush. By the way, I want a photo with you under the dahlia arch."

He grins and nods. "Noted."

I let him go and gesture to the other part of the festival further towards the stones. "I've never been to see the stones. Can we?"

He nods. "I'll be there in a minute."

I smooth down my cardigan a little, careful to not show too much. There's a small bump growing, but only in certain-shaped clothing. For these types of engagements, Kai told me jeans were fine, so I paired them with a nice yet slightly baggy blouse and a cardigan. The cameras are basically on us the whole time here, making it hard to be as normal as possible.