24

─── ♔♔♔ ───

─── ♔♔♔ ───

The very first thing that happened when we got back to the cottage was me being surrounded by my family. Since the admission, neither Kai nor I really spoke of the admission, other than to agree to discuss it again tonight, and that I wanted to get the drawings framed to put up in the lounge — our favourite room in the cottage.

My dad's been running around serving up tea and cake for everyone while Annie sorted out the washing – despite Kai reminding her that we have maids for that – and Patrick sat opposite me and laughed at my stupid self, after of course, making me go through the doctor's notes with him so he knows they didn't miss anything.

The three of them left and stayed in a little outhouse the king and queen offered them as a guest house for the next few days while I rest and recover – something Kai mentioned maybe asking his parents to have as my family's second home so they can stay whenever they please, especially after the baby is born. 

They've been gone for half an hour now, and I've been put on strict bed rest for at least two days by the doctor, which to him meant I could slowly and not very often change rooms but not go out for engagements or anything too strenuous. They said not to even exercise for twenty-four hours, and then after that, a small slow walk is appropriate.

Perfect, then, for sitting and watching TV while the chef downstairs is cooking my favourite meal – steak and chips with corn on the cob. While I think it's weird for one of the best chefs in the country to cook such a simple meal, I'm already salivating at the thought of it. Apparently, there's a cheesecake after, along with my dad's birthday cake.

The news is just filled with photos of Kai and me leaving the hospital, a photo of us both before we went into the museum earlier. Luckily, no one caught me on the floor, and the media respected – for once – when they took me into the ambulance and there are no photos of that.

Kai walks in holding a glass of something sparkling. "Obviously, this is alcohol-free, but it's sparkling white wine."

"Kai, you don't have to go to this much trouble, honestly! I'm happy sitting here watching Disney films and eating my steak!"

He grins and passes me the glass.

"But thank you," I add. "Despite the awkward fall, I think it's been a good birthday."

He chuckles and sits down beside me with a glass of what looks like whiskey. "Then I'm pleased. Dinner should be ready in around half an hour." He shows me the bottle of wine, which has a big zero on it to prove it's without alcohol.

I nod and take a sip of the drink. There's definitely a sweeter taste which would lend to the idea it's got no alcohol in it. It tastes expensive, though, and is light. "This is amazing."