53. Summons

Don't forget to vote, comment, share and follow! 

***********************************************

When the imperial edict came along, it was even before the rooster cawed. The sun-embedded gold insignia of the Blazing Sun crest, Haoran wouldn't miss it even if he were to forget. It was just last night that he returned to the military camp and he was ushered out of bed so early in the morning by his attendant stating that a gentleman wearing gold and black attire, colours reserved for the servants of the inner palace, had arrived at the military camp, requesting a private meeting. Witnessing the imperial crest was all Haoran needed to know. He had thrown on an outer robe and walked out to greet the very familiar face of the eunuch.

"Your Grace.'' He had bowed deeply upon Haoran's arrival.

General Haoran simply nodded his head back in greeting. "Confidential Meeting?" The eunuch replied gravely, "Indeed, Your Grace."

Haoran made no useless movement in extending his hand towards the eunuch who in return rapidly dropped the parchment edict he carried like it was hot charcoal on Haoran's palms. General's eyes dropped a few degrees in temperature when he saw the colour of the silk around the edict: Red.

Red in the official document meant an emergency. He filled open the parchment, which read,

Confidential. Return immediately.

Short. This was extremely short, even for His Majesty's lazy self. This terrible chop of words could only mean urgency. He immediately mounted a horse and rushed in a maddening frenzy towards the palace, not bothering to change his ruffled expression nor attire even leaving the eunuch behind.

Haoran scrunched his brows.

The notes he discovered in Fu Lin's room were from last night. He had departed immediately, with the notes at hand, to inspect them one by one. He knew he risked getting caught by Fu Lin, but the risk far outweighed its worth. However, the timely invite from the Emperor right the next morning after such a crucial discovery and with such an urgency gave rise to panic in Haoran's heart.

He wouldn't be surprised by the impasse plantation of a mole or two within the Zhou Manor by the Emperor. To be an Emperor meant to be suspicious. It could even be the work of a politician, unbeknownst to him, trying to sow discord between him and the Emperor. Or... it could be Fu Lin himself.

He didn't know, and frankly, he didn't care. Right at this moment his conscience was in the clear. He discovered the notes last night and had confiscated them on the spot, like any responsible citizen would. He had no collusion with the creation of those notes whatsoever.

However, what bothered him was his course of action from here on out. If the Emperor asks him of the situation, would he... report on Fu Lin?

His eyes turned red-rimmed as veins bulged at his forehead. He abruptly screeched to a halt on the horse and the impact sent him flying. General Haoran rolled over on the sand and ate a mouthful of harsh dust, the sand biting into his light stubble. However, he got up abruptly with his back erect and determined, his shoulders resembling the protective arbour of a General.

That question had only one answer.

As he was escorted through the palace, he realised that the meeting wasn't set to be in the usual royal hall but within the inner palace. He was guided through the winding paths of the black limestone walls into a chamber filled with glass globules. Indeed, the Emperor's favourite spot where only the most trusted were allowed.

The Emperor was in a lightly draped night robe as he fiddled with the light reflecting off of one of the glass ornaments when Haoran entered. Upon noticing his arrival, he exclaimed, "Haoran!"