Chapter 12

Chapter 12

My mate can't be seen anywhere after the little confrontation earlier. Maybe I've hit a nerve or maybe he needed time to process the fact that he is a vampire, one who feeds on others, who survives on other's blood.

Estella, the maid, keeps me occupied. She takes me around the house, showing me the rooms and the beautiful interior of this place. It's not as hideous as it looks from the outside. While everything's dark and barely lit in the house, there is beauty that can't be denied.

The air is thick with history, there's a lot here, and for a moment, it's almost unsettling how a place, how a town like this can exist. There's not much I know about the alpha of the north—which my mate is, but I've heard stories, plenty of them. Everyone has.

They all are dark.

The alpha of the north rules over not only werewolves but vampires too. He has allies on both sides, he has power no other pack can, not alpha can ever get.

"You'll get used to all this very quickly. There's nothing to be scared of here, Aurora." The woman talks to me as she takes me further deeper into the house.

My brows furrow and I pick up my pace. "How do you know my name?"

"Zade mentioned it to me. Last night, I think. I wanted to see you then but he had told me you were resting." She looks straight ahead instead of meeting my eyes.

"One can't rest when in a prison." I whisper, under my breath as my eyes roll back. What is it with my mate and that tower? Why can't he let me stay here?

"This is one of the rooms you must see. The time goes quicker when you're in here. It's almost like an escape from reality." She reaches the large door and twists the key inside it before opening it up.

My lips part in surprise as I stare at the room ahead of me. It's surreal. At first, it appears to be a normal seating room with black leather couches lined over the ash floorboards, but further in, there's an opening that leads outside, out of the house, and straight into the sprawling wilderness. It's an unobstructed view of the mountains and greenery.

The opening is large, reaching up to the ceiling of the house.

I near to the opening, completely enthralled by the stunning view. A cool breeze carries the scent of pine, filling the freshness of the outdoors.

To my right, there's a small staircase made of black-stained wood that reaches the upper level of the house.

"It's—beautiful." I whisper, still completely fascinated by the room.

It's truly an escape, as Estella says before. One could lose themselves here.

"It is, isn't it?" She walks ahead and stops near me. I stand at the edge of where the transition from the inside to the outside takes place. "Most of the house was designed by Zade's late father. Though, it's this room that he built himself only a few years ago."

I turn to her in question and ask, "What about his mother? I heard something earlier—"

Estella smiles at me, but her eyes tell a different story. "His mother's a vampire, an immortal being, of great power. She went to rest with his father only a few years after he had died. Even with a promise of eternity, she chose to leave this world behind for love."

I try to understand, but it's difficult.

My mate's father is a werewolf, and his mother is a vampire. Therefore, he, a hybrid. One that can't be conceived, to begin with, but he's here, breathing, existing. I don't understand his existence. No one else can either. He's one of his kind, the only hybrid to exist, the only man who's part of two worlds.