Chapter 1 - One Year On

Beep beep beep

Riley slammed his hand onto the snooze button of his alarm clock to shut it up. Looking at the date, it was one that was all to familiar. The date he had been stuck on some many times. It was still fresh in his memories, like it was yesterday. Banishing Rusty to the void and making everything the way it should be. No more murderous rampage from them, or himself. Those weren't his best moments, but no one remembers and they never will.

It had all be one year ago, and he was well and truly 18 by now. Time now laying in the year 2026, he approaching the end of his venture at Bayside Academy, being in his last year. Even then, he'd still be sticking around as only the students of the Academy resided on the island since that earthquake.

Sliding out of bed, he began to prepare for the day, with a bus to the Academy departing in an hour. While waiting for his hot chocolate to finish, there was a knock at the door. Opening it, it wasn't a surprise who it was.

"Morning." Greeted Adam, walking inside. "Hope you don't mind a change."

"Not at all. I'm just waiting on my hot chocolate. You want a coffee?"

"No thanks, had one earlier."

Adam sat himself down on the couch and opened up the Bayside Academy newsletter. As he read the event for the week, he noticed something familiar.

"The Annual Magic Tournament is this Friday!" He yelled out to Riley in the kitchen. "And they're claiming it'll be bigger and better than last. They're going to livestream it to Westtroplis."

"That builds up the pressure." Riley replied. "If anyone has stage fright, I'd recommend them not to do it."

"I entered into it at the start of last week. Everyone else has, but I haven't heard if you've entered."

Riley remembered what happened last time. It was still a memory that wouldn't let him forget it. Being slammed into the ground by Wilson and falling unconscious. It was the first of a sequence of bad events for him, with the massacres by Rusty following that same week. However, he was much stronger than last time, more confident and still eager to get revenge on Wilson.

"I entered before catching the bus home on Friday. Can't wait to get my revenge on Wilson. Gotta a few new tricks up my sleeve to deal with him."

"That all depends if I knock him out first. And let me guess, that'll be a win to you as well."

"You know me too well."

As the clock ticked onto 7:25am, the two made their way to the bus stop where Zachary waited for their arrival. Exchanging the handshake they made, the bus arrived on cue for them to board. At the back, Niamh, Hannah and Cameryn held onto spots for the three boys who sat themselves into them.

"You guys coming to training this afternoon?" Asked Cameryn.

"Of course. Gonna need it if I'm going to win the entire thing." Adam replied confidently.

"Plus, I was going to train you guys on sharpening your instincts, like y'all wanted." Riley added.

"I always thought it was part of your powers." Zachary said.

"No, I had to train to get them to this level. My dad used to train me after school every day all those years ago. Might as well return the favour to you guys. And give you a chance against me."

"Same time as usual." Niamh suggested as they departed the bus as it arrived at the Academy.

Stopping by his locker, Riley made his way to Magic Studies with Adam, meeting Kaedan, their friend and King of the island, there. As they sat down in their seats, their teacher who was still back in Bayside appeared on the screen to begin the lesson.