Chapter 3

Chapter 3 — by basketballdemon

An infinite sea of unadulterated knowledge

An infinite sea of unadulterated knowledge. That is what Amphilion saw as he stepped into the library - his own personal domain. Here, he could be anything he wanted. He could live the adventures he always fantasized of as he browsed through millions of pages of electronic tales. There was nothing more he could ever want. Here he was content. Here he could be himself. Oh so he would tell himself on a daily basis just to get by.

There were always those who attributed his thirst for knowledge to his Shozien heritage. Maybe they were right, to some extent. Being half Shozien, his thoughts were never really just his own. His mind was part of the hive and the hive was always seeking new knowledge. However, he wanted to believe it was something much more.

This was his passion. He genuinely enjoyed his job as Gi'āna's librarian. He enjoyed seeking out the knowledge beyond his people. Sometimes he wondered if it had something to do with his Human heritage. He often found himself wondering if he would have been less curious if he wasn't half Human.

Every day he would walk into the library station, the generic greeting sequel would echo all around him as the station's AI systems welcomed him back for another day. The station would wake up for each and every day as it welcomed dozens of curious souls into its interior as many came to the library for all manner of research and he was always ready to assist everyone. Even with the peace and tranquility he felt, there always seemed to be something missing.

"Are you going to sit there daydreaming or are you going to assist me?"

Blinking, Amphilion found himself staring at an older woman - a Human. She regarded him curiously with her warm brown eyes. He was always fascinated by how their species had varying eye colors. Some had blue, green, gray, purple, even amber eyes. Although part Human, Amphilion had inherited most of the Shozien genetic coding from his father. Unfortunately that meant he had inherited the same silver white eyes that all Shozien possessed.

Realizing he had drifted off again, he smacked his own forehead with a chuckle.

"Oh, my apologies. I was lost in thought," he said with a warm smile.