Chapter 14

Chapter 14 — by elveloy

Entering the outer edges of the solar system inside the Vipa, Makuy leant forward in xeir chair, hands gripping the arm rests and xeir crest pulsing ruby red with anticipation

Entering the outer edges of the solar system inside the Vipa, Makuy leant forward in xeir chair, hands gripping the arm rests and xeir crest pulsing ruby red with anticipation. The view screen showed mostly black space, only the light from far distant stars piercing the present background, but any moment, if all went to plan, xeir target would fill the screen with its foolish pinkness.

After weeks of tracking from one (mainly) false lead to another, it seemed they were finally on the right path.

As soon as Makuy had discovered Sanju's plans to track the Human to her home planet, Earth, the source of real amber—one of the galaxy's treasures—Makuy had set course for the nearest IP (Intergalactic Portal) and sent off instructions to xeir agents in the field.

As a long-time TAS operative, Makuy had cultivated an extensive network of spies around the galaxy. Most of the time they reported on key events in their region, alerting xem to any crisis which might affect the Hiwjshi home world, but occasionally Makuy would give them a specific task.

This time, the mission was to track Sanju, or xeir vessel when xe found one, and discover xeir destination. A cumbersome process, but necessary. Unfortunately, "Earth"—or its linguistic equivalent—was far too common a title for planets. Otherwise, Makuy would have gone straight there and taken the amber for xemself.

Xe had never dreamt it would take so long. Sanju seemed to lurch from one false destination to another. Would xe never find this plorkish planet?

And then, on xeir last visit to an IP, Makuy had retrieved a data package from one of xeir most reliable Vlernish agents.

"Greetings, illustrious Makuy, Agent Blarj reporting. I am pleased to inform you that the target is in orbit around Earth, home to the Grand Fl'umph and his people, in the Sol' system."

Clicking xeir claws with glee, Makuy immediately sent a return data package through the IP, containing detailed instructions for xeir agent.

"Ingris? Please set course for Sol'. We have found our amber!"