018: they're your friends.

ONCE THE basement door closed after El and Max, Lucas looked at Nicky right away, "so..." He trailed off and the Munson raised her brows. "So?" She says and he chuckles, glancing at Dustin who's also confused. "How was your date?" He then asked and Nicky took a moment, a bit more confused.

"How do you know about our date?" She asked, a bit taken back by this and worrying that Rose Carver might have went around telling everyone already. "Well, Max called me today and told me everything... so, how did it go?" He then asked and Nicky just chuckled. "Yeah, how did it go?" Dustin now sets his face in both of his hands and Nicky glanced between them. "It went good. Okay?" She laughs awkwardly then looked at Lucas, giving a small smile at the Sinclair.

She feels grateful that Lucas is so understanding, that he isn't mad at her or Max for how they feel. She supposes it must be because it's out of Lucas' control, how they all feel, especially himself. "How did you get a date with Cora anyway?" She then asked and he timidly smiles, looking away.

"Well, she asked how Max and I were doing, and once I told her we broke up, she didn't waste a second. But then she told me to not feel pressured at all to say yes. But I said yes anyway because... I don't know, I guess I like her and I wanna see how it goes." He explained, shrugging his shoulders and Nicky just smiles, tilting her head slightly. "That's nice. I hope it goes well." She tells him.

When Mike and Will return, they all got to setting everything up before El and Max came back. After, they mostly sat around, talking and laughing while eating snacks and drinking soda. Lucas looks at the time on his watch at some point, standing up. "Shit. I'm gonna be late. I'll come back right after. See you guys!" He's practically running out the side door as they all shout after him, "good luck!"

They watched another movie after, this time it was one of the Star Wars movie which the theee boys were geeking over together but all Nicky could think about was how beautiful Princess Leia was. Carrie Fisher is gorgeous. "Nick," Max whispers to her suddenly and Nicky glanced up, tearing her eyes away from the film. "Yeah?" She murmured. "I'm gonna go get another soda. Wanna come with?" Max asked and Nicky nods.

But getting another soda was just an excuse because once they were alone in the kitchen of the Wheeler house, Max wrapped her arms around her neck and pulled her closer before leaning up to connect their lips. Nicky held her hands over the sides of of Max's waist, kissing back right away and stepping closer until the redheaded girl's hips hit the counter. They stand there, kissing for a bit, the shorter girl's hands tangling in the taller's hair.

The Munson girl's arms slowly snaked around her waist as their kiss deepens before she pulled away. "Max?" She whispers and the Mayfield opened her blue eyes, staring up at her. "Nicky?" She whispers in response and Nicky's knees nearly give out then, staring back into her girl's eyes. "I love you."

Max hadn't said anything. She just pulled apart from her, grabbed a soda and headed back downstairs right away. Without another word or even glance at Nicky who's just standing there, realizing what she had said.

Fuck.

When she returned to the basement, she felt awkward and rather than sitting with Max, she plopped down onto the floor next to El who looked at her right away. "You okay?" The Byers girl asked and she quickly nods, staring at the television screen. "Yeah." She whispered as Max just sipped her soda, glancing between her friend and her girlfriend.

I love you echoed in both girls' minds but neither of them look at one another or even say anything to each other. When Lucas returned, they all laid or sat around again, doing the same as before while they talk, laugh and just joke around with each other. Except Nicky and Max still were not talking or looking at each other. Which only Will had caught onto, glancing between the blonde and redhead.

He nudged Mike gently and leaned closer to him, leaning in to whisper to his boyfriend who immediately looked at Nicky and Max, seeing what Will was talking about before he leaned closer and whispered back to him. "Why don't you talk to either of them? They're your friends too." Will instantly shook his head and Mike just gently rubs the back of his hand, nodding softly with a little smile at him.

"Nicky?" He looked over as Will just squeezed his hand. "Yeah?" The blonde smiles at them. "Will wants to go get some snacks but doesn't wanna go alone." He says and Nicky raised her brows at the Byers. "Yeah, come on, let's go." She stood up rather quickly and Will stood up, sending daggers with his glares at his boyfriend before he joined Nicky's side.

"So, Max told me you're artistic. Watercolours or acrylic paint?" Nicky asked as she grabbed some popcorn because El had asked for it on their way up. "Yeah. Um, watercolours lately." Will smiles politely at her before looking away. "Nicky?" He then looks over at her and she hums, punching in the numbers for the microwave before pressing start. "I... couldn't help but notice the tension between you and Max?" He says, a bit too quietly.

"Oh..." Nicky says, crossing her arms as she then turns around to the Byers boy who's staring at him with a concerned look. "Is everything okay? You guys didn't argue, did you?" He asked her worriedly and she just smiled softly then looked down, sighing. "Uh... I kind of... messed up." She said, shaking her head and he just stepped forward a bit.

"I'm sure it can't be that bad. I mean, people say things they don't mean all the time. I once told Mike he was dead to me." He says and Nicky looks up, a bit bewildered at him, so Will just softly laughs, looking down. "I... I was really mad at Mike that day. I never meant it though." He says quietly, fidgeting with his hands and Nicky let out a small shaky breath.

"But I meant what I said..." She says and he looks at him, slightly taken back and curious. "What did you say?" He asked her and she just pursed her lips together. "I... sort of told her I love her?" She says quietly. "Oh." Will says and she nods, glancing away. "Yeah. Oh."

authors note
nicky and will friendship <3
ALSO!!!!! I hope it's clear to ya'll that just because i still like will, does not mean i support noah and his beliefs. I like the characters and never the actors bc I learn to seperate the different people (fiction/real)