Ch9 Imperial Order, P2

Chapter 9: Imperial Order (2)
~9.2~
*****

At the Erdreich Palace, an angry Kye marched up the palace entrance and ignored the servants that tried to approach her.

"Kye what do you plan to do, exactly?" came Alethea's voice over their private call. Only her girlfriends, attendants, and Alfia could hear her.

"End this farce."

They could hear snickering over the call from Alfia, who was there, but not visible thanks to Aliana.

"Fia, did you put her up to this?" Michelle asked.

"Nobody put me up to anything," Kye insisted. She arrived at the door to Wolfgang's study, and it was opened before she could knock.

"Please, come in," he said. He instructed the servants to prepare tea for everyone. "To what do I know the honor? This is quite a number of young royals."

Wanting to curb the situation, Alethea spoke up first. "There seems to be a problem, Duke Erdreich." While most nobles and royals were referred to as simply 'lord' or 'lady', those who held titles were usually referred to with that title during official business. A Grand Duke, Archduke, or Duke were usually referred to how Alethea addressed Wolfgang, or simply 'your grace'. Similarly, the four cardinal rulers were referred to as King or Queen and 'your majesty'. Because the royalty and nobility of the Atlantis Empire was so numerous, such titles were rarely heard since the majority were only ever referred to as 'lord' or 'lady'. Wolfgang grimaced briefly when he heard his title used.

"What might that problem be, Your Imperial Highness?" Alethea and Atalante were the only imperials to carry formal titles, but they preferred 'lady' over the mouthful that normally came with their titles. Despite Alethea being the one that spoke to him, both were looking at Kye, who was unmistakably oozing dissatisfaction.

Kye, unable to keep her frustration lidded, spoke up. "This crusade you and other nobility have against the Royal Heir of Drachenheim stops now."

Wolfgang's expression hardened. "So that's what this is about. You can rest assured my mind will not be changed by children."

"You seem to think I'm giving you a choice. What part of my tone indicates any room to argue, Duke Erdreich?"

Unperturbed, the Grand Duke leaned back in his chair. "You are a Royal Heir. Your numerical ranking is 4, equivalent to my own. Lady Alethea here possesses a numerical ranking of 2, yet she has yet to back up your word, Princess Kye."

"She does not need my back up," Alethea calmly added as she began to sip the tea that was just delivered to her and the others.

Wolfgang disregarded Alethea's claim and looked at Kye. "You do not possess the rank to give me orders."

Kye chuckled. "Do I not?" She laughed and stood up. "Enough of this." Kye snapped her finger and created a barrier of white mana that silenced all within whom she did not give permission to speak. Alethea used the same spell earlier in the day, before the group left for Erdreich. It was less a spell, and more a system-governed authority. "Do you still think I do not possess the rank to give you orders? Wolfgang van Erdreich, on behalf of the Royal Council of Atlantis, I am issuing an Imperial Order. You will keep your dissatisfactions about having a transgender sovereign to yourself. You are welcome to continue having such poisonous thoughts, but going forward, you will not act on them. Such thoughts will have no impact on your capacity to rule. If I hear anymore of this absurdity, consider yourself deposed."

Before Kye released the barrier, her sword floated up out of its sheath and transformed. Wolfgang was equally surprised to see Astraia as when he was rendered speechless. "Duke Erdreich, a small bit of explanation. This girl is soul-bonded to me, and engaged to my niece. She is already registered as an imperial. You are aware of the recent upgrades that have been performed on planetary foundations, yes?" Wolfgang nodded. "Kye is the one that implemented the upgrade here on your foundation. She doesn't possess the authority to give you orders? Why can you not defy her sound-proof barrier? Listen, child, you are not in the good graces of either the royals or imperials. Even your fellow archnobles are disgusted." Astraia glanced at Louise, who openly scoffed. "Deposition is on the table. I suggest you clean your act up."