18 - Two truths, one lie

Moonlight shadows cross my face and looking out into the maze, my mind is still reckless with too many thoughts that tangle within themselves

"Your father knew when to play by the rules and when to break them even if it cost him everything," Mr. Wellington says, while pouring two glasses of whiskey the brown liquid spilling over the cold, hard ice cube at the bottom of the glass.

I take the other glass of whiskey and gather enough information from this conversation, because this is my best bet right now.

"I didn't think my father would be a rule breaker, more of a man of his word or by the book kind of person," I say, taking another sip of whiskey and the dim background compliments the rest of the library.

"Well, I didn't think so either because we were best friends, until we fell for the same woman," Mr. Wellington says, a small laugh escaping his lips while twisting his wedding ring thinking deeply.

"Now that you say that I saw a photo of Marie and another woman with her face scratched out who's she?" I answer, sitting up straight in the chair giving him my attention to learn more about what's going on.

Mr. Wellington watches my expression and smiles shaking his head as if to discourage my question for an answer I don't want.

"I can't tell you her name or anything about her" Mr. Wellington pauses. "There's so many things I can't tell you about."

Getting up from an uncomfortable chair, leaving the glass of whiskey empty, and looking out the window with a bright full moon small clusters of stars in the sky.

"No, no you're keeping information from me and I don't think any of it is fair" I pause. "You might as well be honest with me, you don't have anything to hide do you?"

"Well, young man there's a lot of things that aren't fair, especially with your father stealing the woman I loved first" Mr. Wellington replies, his tone full of irritation and anger dancing around each other in a never-ending struggle.

"Maybe, that woman chose the man that would do anything for her, cherish her, as a human being, not an object" I pause. "You're upset that she didn't choose you and that's a shame isn't it?"

My words echo in the open space of the library, the dim lighting from lamps doesn't reach the eye and the heavy curtains slowly sway back and forth in a rhythm.

Mr. Wellington's heavy footsteps stop right behind me and is staring hard through the glass window maybe I said something he didn't want to hear.

"Chase...you have an interesting way with words, and sometimes you remind me of your father from time to time," Mr. Wellington said.

Continuing to stare out the window and not respond, because I don't know how to. Stuffing my hands in my pockets feeling the cool metal of the pocket knife and I relax a little bit.

"Oh, Mr. Wellington please warn your wife to not get into people's business, especially mine," I say, walking away from the window and slipping on my suit jacket making my way to the door.

"Is that a threat?" Mr. Wellington calls out, after me now facing away from the window and the focus is on me.

"No, it's not a threat just a fair warning" I reply, leaving the door with my response for him to think about and play on repeat like a record player.

A figure comes out from a secret passageway of the library, plops himself into a chair, and breathes a heavy sigh of frustration.

"Where is she now, Benjamin?" Mr. Wellington asks, fixing his dress shirt and watching the time on his watch.

"I just checked the last ping of her location a few minutes ago, and is now in New York" Benjamin responds, wearing round glasses and a crown tattoo on his forearm that is now noticeable.

"Good as long as she stays in New York, everything will go according to plan thanks, Benjamin" Mr. Wellington responds, entering the secret passageway and disappearing into the late hours of the night.

                                     A/N Hi! Thank you so much for reading this chapter and I hope you enjoyed it!

                                     A/N

Hi! Thank you so much for reading this chapter and I hope you enjoyed it!

What do you guys think that Mr. Wellington and Benjamin are up to? And who is this mysterious they're looking for?