twenty six

as chrissy and adam made their way towards the bus stop, their hands intertwined, chrissy's mind was consumed with anticipation and anxiety about seeing her father

as chrissy and adam made their way towards the bus stop, their hands intertwined, chrissy's mind was consumed with anticipation and anxiety about seeing her father. she stole glances at adam, hoping he would say something, but he seemed preoccupied, his attention drifting elsewhere.

"would you be upset with me if i didn't come home with you today?" adam finally spoke up, his voice tinged with hesitation.

chrissy's heart sank at his words, a knot forming in the pit of her stomach. she knew what was coming, but she couldn't help the pang of disappointment that washed over her, "..why, what came up?"

adam glanced at chrissy, his expression faltering for a moment before he replied, "well, the guys are having this thing after practice.. and they want me come and, i don't want to say no because it'll just be harder for me to get along with them and.."

chrissy listened in silence, her disappointment growing with each passing word. she thought adam understood how serious this was for her. she forced a tight-lipped smile, masking the hurt that threatened to spill over, "it's okay, adam," she replied, her voice strained. "i understand. i'll just go alone."

"are you sure? i mean.. i know how things get with your d—" adam began, his words trailing off as chrissy cut him off with a wave of her hand.

"adam it's fine. really, go." chrissy insisted, her voice tinged with forced cheerfulness. "just promise me i won't lose you to this stupid hockey team."

adam's eyes softened as he gazed into chrissy's, his heart swelling with affection for the girl he loved more than anything in the world. "i promise, chrissy," he murmured, his voice filled with warmth. "i'll be counting down the minutes until i can see you again."

with that, chrissy rose up on her tiptoes, closing the distance between them as she wrapped her arms around adam's neck, pulling him into a sweet and tender embrace. adam's arms encircled her waist, holding her close as he pressed a gentle kiss to the top of her head, savoring the moment of closeness between them.

but as they reluctantly pulled apart, chrissy's breath caught in her throat at the sight of charlie sitting on the bus bench with a girl who bore a striking resemblance to herself. "who the hell is she?" chrissy muttered, her voice barely above a whisper, her heart pounding in her chest as a mixture of emotions churned within her.

"hmm. about time he found somebody else to bother." adam's offhand remark only added fuel to the fire of chrissy's jealousy, igniting a simmering resentment that threatened to boil over. she fought to push aside her irrational feelings, reminding herself that she had chosen adam and was happy with him.

"i'll see you later, okay?" chrissy said softly, her voice tinged with sadness as she looked up at adam.

adam's eyes softened as he returned her gaze, his expression filled with love and understanding. "yeah, i'll be waiting for you," he replied, reaching out to gently brush a stray strand of hair from her face.