Chapter 35

Another week later (Epilogue Pt. 2)
I was supposed to be meeting up with my best friend and my brother to race Go-Karts. But I've been sick for the last two days.

I have a terrible cold. A sore throat, congestion, and a head-throbbing migraine. And I know exactly how I got sick, too. While I was at work, some lady sneezed all over the money she handed me.

Apparently, she had been taking care of her husband and sick children for the last couple of days. And so, she bought a bouquet of flowers in the hopes of brightening their day.

While the gesture had been sweet, I ended up contracting the cold her family gave her. And now I'm stuck in the house.

My parents won't let me out of my room unless it's to use the bathroom or shower. They don't want to risk getting sick. It's gotten to a point where they have even started leaving me breakfast, lunch, and dinner outside of my bedroom door. The only perk to being sick is that my dad gets me whatever I want when I want. 

"You're still not feeling well?" My boyfriend asked, his blue eyes filled with concern. I could tell by the expression on his face that he wished he could be here to take care of me.

Landon left for Paris with his mom. She wanted to get away since she's now a newly single woman, and he didn't want her to go alone. So they decided to make it a mother-son bonding trip. They're going to be gone for the weekend and should be back Sunday night.

I groaned in response to Landon's question. I was swaddled in his yellow sweatshirt and a ton of blankets to keep the cold out and the warmth in. Landon gave me his sweatshirt before he left, and I am obsessed with it. It smells just like him.

"How's Paris?" I ask with a sniffle. My nose is red and stuffed, so my question comes out all nasally.

"It's okay. My mom's enjoying it. She got invited to a fashion show, so I have the hotel room to myself." He releases a groan, his veiny hand sifting through his hair. "I wish you were here to keep me company. It's boring without you, freckles."

If I wasn't so sick, I'd tried to entertain him right here and now during the video call. But I don't think trying to flirt or use dirty talk while sick will be sexy.

So I suggested a TV show instead. We just finished season one of Shameless, and I was looking forward to starting season two.

Hours go by. We're almost done with season two, and I'm struggling to keep my eyes open. I don't realize I've even nodded off until I hear the sound of a screenshot. My eyes fly open to see Landon sporting a goofy grin.

"Tell me you did not just take a picture of me?"

"I absolutely did, baby." 

Not even a second later, I get a text. Landon's sent me an attachment. I open up my messages to see a picture of me asleep, my head propped up on a fist, and my mouth hanging wide open. I cringe at the drool coming out the side of my mouth.

"Oh my- delete it right now."

"Nah. It's my favorite picture. I'm going to make it my lock-screen."

My eyes roll. "You're insufferable." 

He's gushing over the image, talking about how adorable I look despite me looking and feeling anything but. I try my hardest to suppress the smile that forces its way onto my face. I'm drooling, and yet, he's staring at the picture like I'm the most beautiful thing he's ever seen.

"You love me," he shoots back, forgetting all about Shameless.

He's right. I do love him. I take in a deep breath, his scent filling my nose. "You should know that you're never getting this sweatshirt back."

"I kind of figured that. So, to make us even, I took something of yours before I left."

I blink at him incredulously. And even gasp to really sell the dramatics. "My boyfriend's a thief."

It's his turn to roll his eyes. "Don't be so dramatic, freckles. I'm simply borrowing it until I get back."

"What did you take?" I ask in curiosity.

He lifts his hand, and my eyes settle on the yellow scrunchie around his wrist. I was wondering where that had gone. I was going to wear it with his sweatshirt.

"It smells like you," he murmurs. "Reminds me of sunshine." His face heats up, and I start cheesing at the way his cheeks pinken a little.

"Come on, Romeo. Let's finish the show."

His cheeks deepen in color as he gives me a small head nod. I didn't know it was possible to love him any more than I already do. But knowing he has my favorite colored hair tie on his wrist- yeah, it's possible.

****

At the sound of my name being called, I leaped up from my seat to grab my smoothie. I thanked the girl at the cashier and turned to leave.

I wasn't paying attention. I had been so excited to drink my mixed berry smoothie. Especially now since I'm no longer sick and have my sense of taste back.

I felt a pair of hands on my waist, stopping me from running right into them. Their touch sends a familiar tingle up my spine.

"Careful, freckles. Wouldn't want a repeat of last time."

I froze, slowly lifting my gaze. Cornflower blue eyes, a birthmark, and a charming smile. "Landon?" I nearly drop my smoothie jumping into his arms.

"Hey, baby," he greets lowly, the moths in my belly summoned in an instant.

My lips come crashing down. First, his lips. Then his nose and cheek. I pepper his face with kisses. I have no doubt that people are watching like we're two clichés out of a rom-com. But I can't help that I missed him.

I finally come up for air. "What are you doing here? I wasn't supposed to see you until later tonight."

"I got on an earlier flight. My mom decided to stay longer. And I missed you too much."

"You just said you missed me," I point out, a girly smile on my face. "Out loud. And to an Isaacs at that."

Landon and I haven't exactly made our relationship official to the public. But we haven't been trying to hide it either. It just so happens that this place is a really popular spot for college kids. I spot a few people with their phones out. It won't be long now before I'm all over social media.

"Well, it's true. I missed my girlfriend," Landon says, raising his voice even louder.

I don't miss the group of girls waiting in line whispering and watching us. I ignore them and focus all of my attention on my boyfriend.

A giggle escapes me as I drop down onto my feet. My hand slips into his. Landon eyes my smoothie and leans in to steal a sip. "Hey," I whine in protest. "You still owe me for the last smoothie."

His voice lowers as he whispers in my ear, "I'm sure I can find a way to repay you."

My brow lifts. My legs become wobbly, and suddenly, it's becoming too hard to breathe. Landon tugs me out of the juice bar. His strides are determined, and I struggle to keep up.

He opens my door and even buckles me in. Then he races back to his place like he's in Need for Speed, and we spend the rest of the day entangled in each other.