Chapter 46. Roles.

"Sorry guys," I said apologetically as I sat in the back of the car. "I guess we will have to get lunch somewhere else on the way back."

"You okay?" Karn asked, as he took my hand and squeezed it hard as we sped away.

It was Ming that answered and it was the first time he had spoken. "He was awesome. For someone who claims not to have a head for business or any authority..... Well! He just owned it in there. He even wiped the floor with Pang's Mum just now too."

Korn leant forward, eager to hear more.

I saw Ming look at me through the rear view mirror. His eyes asking me if it was okay to carry on. I smiled at his discreteness and took over.

"Pang must have told Poom about our little fight and about my friendship with Ming. Poom talked to my mother about it. My father would never allow servants to gossip but encouraged them to tell us only factual things and not hearsay. If I had denied it then Poom could have been dismissed. She knows this and she knows that I am displeased that she never spoke to me first. I told her any breach of this protocol in future then I would have no hesitation in telling Mum to dismiss her."

"If she had come to you first," Pond asked, "would you have told her?"

"I don't know. I don't think I would have even admitted to being confused before this weekend. Now I would admit it but I wanted to admit it to my mother privately. I am a private person, as you well know, and I did not want this to be discussed so publicly."

"I was also impressed by the way you handled yourself, Earth," Pond praised as he gave me a warm smile. "I don't want to sound patronising but I felt you came of age. As Ming said, you showed that air of authority I have seen within you. It is good to see it starting to come out. Your mother respected you for that. Did you not notice your mother showing you some respect when you stood your ground?"

"I noticed," I answered. "It surprised me. I didn't know I had it in me. I felt empowered."

A big smile filled Pond's face "This is only some of what I see in you. You will not need me to help you convince your mother to consider our proposal. I think that I can leave that to you and to Ming. I am so proud of you."

I went red again with embarrassment.

"Thanks for mentioning Kla....," Karn added, giving my hand he was still holding another squeeze.

Korn finished what Karn was about to say, "....with what was going on we were surprised you even remembered. You are a good friend."

"Thank you, Earth," they both said in unison.

I was almost tearful and looked at Ming again in the rear view mirror. He winked at me and I felt good about myself and everything.

"Are you wanting to keep this quiet at college?" Ming asked. "If so..., then you will need to speak to Pang before her Mum does."

"Poom will not say anything at all. Not if she values her job," I replied vehemently, "but you are right I will need to talk with her tonight."

I pulled my phone out and sent Pang a text message asking her if she was free to meet with us tonight to eat and if so what time could she meet.

Ming pulled into a roadside cafe so we could have something to eat and drink. There was a band playing, and people dancing, and I left the others to find us a table while I ordered a heap of food and Cha Yen (Thai iced Tea) for the twins and Oliang (Thai Iced Coffee) for Pond and Pomegranate juice for Ming and myself.

Ming then joined me to give me our table number. He gave me a sweet smile. "Boy you were quite something back there. I meant what I said about you being awesome. You standing up and telling them I was your boyfriend made me so proud but it also makes me feel guilty. I will now have to tell my parents and sister, otherwise if they hear it from someone else it could make things harder for us. I will arrange to go next weekend to see them."