3. Ravioli and Revelations

A wondrous aroma wafted from our plates as they were set in front of us

A wondrous aroma wafted from our plates as they were set in front of us. "Oh, my! So enticing." I smiled at Graham, gazed into his eyes and sighed. And so are you.

He motioned toward the sommelier. "I usually have half-pours of wine with each course. Will you join me?"

"Please." Half pours? Of course, a working lunch. And appointments ...

The sommelier's voice interrupted my thoughts as he presented the label to me. "The 2020 Liquidity Viognier, madame."

When he had poured and left, Graham raised his glass. "To our health. And to finding Thor."

While I savoured the aftertaste of my sip, I asked, "What are the chances we will?"

"Your photos of the van are the first step. I don't know older models, but we have a few vehicle geeks who should identify it. Also, the roof rack looks out of place."

"Out of place?"

"Non-standard. Custom-made or home-built."

I pulled out my phone, went to photos and scrolled, nodding as I examined the van. "You have a sharp eye."

"Essential in this business. Always look for anomalies." He pointed to his ravioli. "We should begin."

After savouring my first bite, I hummed a long sigh. "Sublime harmony. The beurre blanc is a perfect foil for the tang of the salmon and capers."

Graham looked up and smiled. "It sounds as if you're familiar with haute cuisine."

"I dabble in it."

"Not for your dogs, though?"

"No, it's my evening entertainment and creativity outlet." I chuckled. "Though, Thor gets to lick my dishes."

"Thor, but not the others?"

"He's my first, and I kept him as a house dog while I expanded." I slapped a hand to my mouth. "Oh, God! Be so lonely without him. Such a gentle sweety."

"We'll find him."

I nodded, and encouraged by his confidence, I continued eating.

"Your kennel? Close to the chocolate shop?"

"Yes, only three blocks along the street."

"So, across from Jonathan Rogers Park."

"What? How did you figure this?"

"Deduction. You said you had walked down to the police station, so Cambie Street. The area three blocks westward along Eighth isn't zoned for a kennel, but eastward it is."

"Oh! Clever. Yes, it's in a restored Edwardian house."

He nodded. "The one next to Milano Coffee or the one further along?"

I chuckled. "Not safe to say anything around you."

"That's part of this sleuthing game. Listening and analysing." He shrugged. "Dollars to doughnuts, it's the first one."

"Why do you think this?"

"The attached vacant lot is ideal."

"It is. Do you know the whole city like this – like the back of your hand?"

"I know it well, but not all of it so well as this. I organised a surveillance in that area a year or so ago. Google Earth is a great tool."

I grinned at him. "Now that you know where I live, are you going to stalk me?"

He chuckled. "Then, you'd have to hire me to entrap myself. But joking aside, it would be beneficial to visit so I better understand your operation."

I nodded, and while we both resumed eating, my mind spun. Would offering to cook dinner be proper? Whoa, girl. Slow down. Business first. Besides, my ...

"Are your staff trustworthy?"

"Hunh? How do you mean?"

"Might one of them be involved with Thor's abduction?"

I shook my head. "Zeb started as Thor's dog handler at the shows. Then I hired him full-time when I expanded with Parisa and Shino, the Afghan Hounds – almost eight years now. Sarah's been with us for nearly five years – an old family friend I hired when Julius and Cleopatra, the Pharoah Hounds, joined us."

"Ooh, I love the names. Never any staff problems?"

"None. Zeb was devastated when I called him from the SkyTrain. Oh, God! I should phone again. They'll both be worried."

As I reached for my phone, Graham nodded toward my plate. "Only two or three more bites. You might call while we wait for the next course."

"Oh! Yes, of course." My face warmed, and I offered him a sheepish grin. "Time management has never been one of my strengths."

"But honesty and frankness certainly are, and they are far more noble."

Honesty? Hah! I nodded and resumed eating. He's the four-square and honest one. God, admitting he was aroused by my butt. And here I am, leading him on without the balls to tell him.

I mopped the last of the beurre blanc with the final segment of ravioli, and while I savoured it, I decided: Enough. Phone Zeb, then tell Graham before this escalates too far.

After an emotional talk with Zeb, I clicked off my phone, my face warming as I turned to Graham. "Sorry, I needed to reassure him you'd find Thor."

"And from the side of the conversation I heard, you did that in spades. You showed the genuine empathy I try to engender in my team."

"Umm, thank you." Should I tell him now? Yes, dammit! Otherwise, it will ...

"You appear bothered, Marissa. Something Zeb said?"

I winced. "No, something I've not said."

He tilted his head. "Oh! About Thor?"

"No, about us."

His face beamed an endearing expression, like a young pup showing innocent wonderment and love. "I'm all ears."

I closed my eyes. Don't make it more difficult, Graham. Why has Fate dealt me this hand? Then, drawing a deep breath, I said, "I got swept away by your gorgeousness and your gentle manner. Forgot myself and played along. Forgot that –"

"Oh, God! I offended you. Please forgive me for my indiscretion."

"No, not offended. Not in the least. Rather, I was flattered. Delighted by your attention."

Graham blew a loud breath. "So, I've not misread your interest."

"No, but I've misrepresented where it might lead."

"Hunh? How so?"

"I'm frigid, Graham. Love everything leading up to it." I winced. "Then I can't."

"Oh, what a relief." He reached across the table and took my hand.

"What?"

Total story words – 3446