6. To the Dogs

After I had reassured Marissa and confirmed spelling, I pulled out my phone, thumbed in, went to calls and selected. Then, with it on speaker, I set it on the counter.

"Yes, Mr Mason."

"Are you free, Daryl?"

"If it'll give me a break from digging through these ledgers, yes." He chuckled.

"Great! We need to see if Norman Rawlstead – R-A-W-L – is in the sex offender registry. If so, his date of parole and contact information. Also, I'll send you photos of a van we need to identify – the plate begins with BR."

"Yes, sir. On it."

I clicked off and turned to Marissa. "Can you do an AirDrop?"

She nodded, took out her phone and switched it on. "All of them?"

"No, let's pick the clearest." I scooted my stool beside her, selected the best three, and linked our phones.

After I had sent them to Daryl, Marissa said, "Seems you're the boss here."

I chuckled. "I own the company, and I'm a hands-on type."

"Ummm. I love the humour in the name. That's why I selected it, but I now see it undersells the company's complexity."

"Possibly. But we no longer need marketing – our reputation sells us."

"But why home security in the name?"

"Breaking into the investigation business is a slow process, so I bought a security alarm and monitoring company." I shrugged. "Liked the name and added Sleuthing to it. It's grown substantially and changed a lot since then."

"Oh! Do you still do home security?"

"We do. It's administered here, but it operates from its original location on Terminal Avenue."

"I should should have mine reviewed, maybe upgraded. With Norman out there and unpredictable –"

"Would he know where you live?"

"He must if he targeted Thor."

"Yes, of course. How would he have found you?"

"By the name, Marissa Graham Kennels. The address is in the City business license registry."

I nodded. "Again, of course. Likely also on your website."

"On our first one, but I removed it when we got too many unannounced visitors."

"So, you're by appointment only?"

"We are. Most of them are timed to their bitch's heat, though some come to buy sperm."

Images flashed through my mind. So easy with sex. So accustomed to seeing it. Assisting it. Must be so frustrating that she can't. Oh, God! How well I know that feeling. Maybe we ...

"You seem somewhere else, Graham."

"Ummm. Wondering about our next step. Do you feel up to a six-block walk?"

"Six blocks?"

"Two to the SkyTrain and four to your place. Or I could drive."

"I'm fine now. These traumatic flashbacks usually last only a few minutes, and the walk will help."

"Great!" I looked into her eyes, seeing her reciprocate. For a long while, we gazed, remaining silent as warmth spread through me.

She licked her lips. "Your eyes say you want to kiss me, Graham."

I nodded and closed the gap. A long, tender exploration later, she pulled away, looked up into my eyes and flushed. "Not safe for work. Let's go home."

We stood and hugged, kissing again, this time with full body contact and roving hands. When we finally parted, I adjusted my trousers, pocketed my phone and led her toward the staircase.