002. Hungover As Fuck

The gentle morning sun shone through the thin curtains of Olivia's guest bedroom. It cast a warm glow over the bed where Dorothea was peacefully asleep, blissfully away in Dreamland — a place that had always treated her well.

She woke to her phone ringing. The obnoxious sound made her head pound, or maybe that was the hangover; she couldn't be sure. With a groan, she rolled over and grabbed her phone from the nightstand. Her finger hovered over the green button, but just as she was about to press it, the call ended.

𝙊𝙡𝙡𝙮: 𝘯𝘰 𝘧𝘶𝘤𝘬𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘸𝘢𝘺 𝘺𝘰𝘶'𝘳𝘦 𝘴𝘵𝘪𝘭𝘭 𝘴𝘭𝘦𝘦𝘱𝘪𝘯𝘨 😭 𝘩𝘰𝘸 𝘮𝘶𝘤𝘩 𝘥𝘪𝘥 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘥𝘳𝘪𝘯𝘬 𝘣𝘳𝘰

Dorothea regretfully rolled her eyes and winced at the pain it caused. She knew for a fact that Olivia had drunk more than her, and she envied her ability to drink so much without waking up with a murderous hangover.

𝙈𝙚: 𝘴𝘩𝘶𝘵 𝘶𝘱 𝘺𝘰𝘶'𝘭𝘭 𝘯𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘳 𝘬𝘯𝘰𝘸 𝘩𝘰𝘸 𝘪𝘵 𝘧𝘦𝘦𝘭𝘴 😔 𝘤𝘢𝘯 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘨𝘦𝘵 𝘮𝘦 𝘴𝘰𝘮𝘦 𝘢𝘴𝘱𝘪𝘳𝘪𝘯 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘢 𝘨𝘭𝘢𝘴𝘴 𝘰𝘧 𝘸𝘢𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘱𝘳𝘦𝘵𝘵𝘺 𝘱𝘭𝘦𝘢𝘴𝘦 🎀

Not long after, the door opened, and Olivia stepped in with a glass of water in one hand and a bottle of painkillers in the other. She wore a mocking smile, and Dorothea could tell she was about to tease her about the hangover situation.

"Sooo, how ya feelin'? Head hurting a little?" She asked as she took a seat on the bed. "Feeling a bit lightheaded, perhaps?" Dorothea wanted to choke her, but she couldn't — Olivia had the painkillers, after all.

She opted for rolling her eyes before accepting the pills Olivia offered her. She chucked them down with a sip of water and placed the glass on the nightstand afterwards. Olivia quietly observed her, watching her every movement. She'd never admit it, but she definitely looked up to Dorothea.

"Is Nora still here?" Dorothea asked, despite already knowing the answer. Leonora couldn't have gotten home without Dorothea, and Dorothea was obviously right there, still at Olivia's.

Olivia nodded, crawling under the covers and resting her head on Dorothea's shoulder. Leonora was still sleeping; she'd also consumed her fair share of alcohol the night before.

Usually Olivia would also be fast asleep at this time, especially after a night like the one they'd had, but with three guests sleeping in her house, she felt a responsibility to be up and ready to attend to their every need (although she'd never let any of the Bishop girls order her around).

"Did the rest get home safe?" Dorothea asked. She didn't remember much from the night before, but she did remember Tate, Conan, and Madison bidding their farewells only a couple of minutes before her exhausted and drunken self passed out on the couch.

"Yeah, Tate drove them all home; she was the only sober one," Olivia answered, absentmindedly drawing small circles on the back of Dorothea's hand. "Gracie's asleep in my bed; I took the couch."

"Where's Nora then?"

"Oh, she's sleeping on the kitchen floor. She refused to move when I tried dragging her in here." Olivia shrugged as if it were a completely normal sentence. "Don't worry, I gave her a pillow and draped a blanket over her," she added when she noticed the lack of response from Dorothea.

The Bishop girl shrugged and decided not to ask any further questions. Olivia and Leonora had always been very questionable people to Dorothea, but maybe that was why they were such a good fit for each other. Just two insane girls living life and being the leading cause of  Dorothea's graying hair.

"Are you feeling okay? I know you don't do hangovers, but I mean, you drank quite a lot yesterday." Dorothea asked yet another question, but this time, all she received was silence. She looked down and felt her heart melt at the sight of Olivia fast asleep, her lips slightly parted, and soft snores beginning to escape. "Oh, Olly, you strange child," Dorothea whispered, carefully slipping out of bed, and making sure not to wake up the sleeping girl.

The Bishop girl trudged downstairs, keeping a hand on her pounding head at all times. As she turned the corner and walked into the kitchen, she almost fell over her little sister. So Leonora was actually asleep on the kitchen floor.

"You and Olly are seriously concerning," Dorothea grumbled, picking up her sister and carrying her to the guest bedroom despite the aching in her head. She ignored how every part of her body seemed to hurt and put Leonora down on the bed next to Olivia.

Once again, she trudged downstairs and went to the kitchen. She'd admired the kitchen ever since Olivia moved in, and some jealous part of her also deeply envied her friend.

"I made breakfast; get your asses downstairs and eat. Olly, can you go get Gracie?" Dorothea asked, barging into the guest room, where she knew Olivia and Leonora were wide awake. Or, apparently, only Leonora. Olivia was still asleep; resting halfway on top of her poor friend.

When Olivia obviously didn't answer, Dorothea walked over to the bed and picked up a pillow. Repeatedly, she hit Olivia with it, impatiently waiting for her to wake up from the impact.

"Bro, what are you doing?" Olivia grumbled, rolling over and shielding her body with her arms.

"Go tell Gracie there's breakfast ready downstairs."

Olivia buried her head in Leonora's shoulder, the fabric of said girl's sweatshirt muffling her words. "No, you do it. Go away, you're ugly and you smell."

Dorothea was about to argue, but the pounding in her head turned her against it. Whatever. She could do it; she could go inform Gracie that she'd made food. She could do that; it wasn't like Gracie was some sort of goddess-like person who looked like she belonged on the front page of a beauty magazine, or maybe even in heaven.

Dorothea wasn't intimidated by Gracie, she definitely wasn't.

"Gracie? It's Dorothea; can I come in?" Her voice came out shakier than she'd liked, and she hoped that Gracie hadn't noticed it. She waited for a response, but she never got one. Carefully, she opened the door and peeked in. Gracie was curled up under the covers, and she looked incredibly small in Olivia's huge bed.

With weary steps, Dorothea approached Gracie's sleeping figure and gently shook her. She whispered her name and hoped it'd wake her up. It didn't take long; Gracie woke up rather quickly and jumped at Dorothea's presence.

"Sorry if I startled you. How are you feeling? Not to be rude, but you look a little rough." Dorothea regretted her words as she said them. She'd just met Gracie; she couldn't already tease her like that. Especially not when the poor girl was laying in bed with a hangover and was just woken up by an almost stranger shaking her and repeating her name in a whisper.

"S'okay. My head is killing me," Gracie groaned, sitting up and leaning against the wall behind her. Olivia still hadn't purchased a headboard, and Lord knows she would never get around to it either.

Dorothea took a seat on the edge of the bed and handed Gracie a glass of water as well as a painkiller. "Here, I brought you some aspirin. Breakfast's ready downstairs; I didn't know what you liked, so I just made Nora and Olly's favourite: chocolate chip pancakes."

"Thank you, Dorothea. You're too sweet to me," Gracie grinned, chucking down the aspirin and downing the glass of water. "I'll be right down, just gotta use the bathroom."

Dorothea nodded and left the room, giving Gracie the privacy she needed. Instead of waiting around, she dragged herself down the stairs and back into the kitchen to grab a plate for everyone. Her head was still pounding, but in some weird and twisted way, she kind of liked it; it helped to block out all the unwelcome thoughts; the anxious ones, the ones of insecurity and fear.

She wondered if Gracie found her weird, if she'd made a complete fool of herself yesterday and ruined the chances of gaining a new friend. That was all Dorothea ever did — wonder and worry.

Author's Note
Publishing this one solely to get this story started
The next one will be out in a few days, I don't have a lot of chapters ready just yet

But anyway, I hope you enjoyedddd

Mwah,
@hearthands