005. Sleepover

Dorothea and Gracie sat in the backseat of an Uber, both exhausted from their exhilarating night at the karaoke bar. Gracie was staring out the window, dozing off every now and then, only to wake up with a bolt. Dorothea was watching her, admiring her every little detail. Like how her eyebrows knitted together when she was just on the verge of falling asleep, and how her upper lip stuck out when she actually fell asleep that one time.

Gracie was incredibly attractive and had definitely attracted Dorothea; she couldn't deny it any longer. She was crushing on Gracie. Dorothea Bishop was crushing on Gracie Abrams.

And she hated it, 'cause Gracie? Gracie was straight. And her feelings would never develop into anything more than just that — feelings.

"Grace? We're here, Precious," Dorothea whispered, laying a gentle hand on Gracie's arm. "I'm just gonna pay, and then we can go inside, hm?"

The girls entered Dorothea's apartment, and Gracie immediately threw herself onto the couch and fell asleep there. Dorothea took a seat next to her, gently lifting up her head and putting it down on her lap, hoping to make it more comfortable for Gracie.

As she sat there in the dark and silent room, going over the evening in her head, she felt her phone vibrate in her pocket. She carefully grabbed it, moving slowly so as not to wake the sleeping beauty in her lap.

𝙊𝙡𝙡𝙮: 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘶𝘱? 𝘸𝘢𝘯𝘯𝘢 𝘩𝘢𝘷𝘦 𝘢 𝘮𝘪𝘥𝘥𝘭𝘦 𝘰𝘧 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘯𝘪𝘨𝘩𝘵 𝘮𝘰𝘷𝘪𝘦 𝘯𝘪𝘨𝘩𝘵 𝘭𝘪𝘬𝘦 𝘢𝘭𝘸𝘢𝘺𝘴? 𝘺𝘰𝘶'𝘳𝘦 𝘨𝘰𝘯𝘯𝘢 𝘩𝘢𝘷𝘦 𝘵𝘰 𝘩𝘰𝘴𝘵, 𝘪 𝘣𝘳𝘰𝘬𝘦 𝘮𝘺 𝘵𝘷 🤗 𝘣𝘶𝘵 𝘪'𝘭𝘭 𝘣𝘳𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘴𝘯𝘢𝘤𝘬𝘴 ‼️

Dorothea looked at Olivia's text, then down at Gracie and then back at the text.

𝙈𝙚: 𝘴𝘰𝘶𝘯𝘥𝘴 𝘧𝘶𝘯 𝘣𝘶𝘵 𝘪 𝘢𝘭𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘥𝘺 𝘩𝘢𝘷𝘦 𝘢 𝘨𝘶𝘦𝘴𝘵 𝘰𝘷𝘦𝘳, 𝘴𝘰𝘳𝘳𝘺 𝘰𝘭𝘭𝘺 🫶 𝘢𝘭𝘴𝘰 𝘩𝘰𝘸 𝘵𝘧 𝘥𝘪𝘥 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘮𝘢𝘯𝘢𝘨𝘦 𝘵𝘰 𝘣𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘬 𝘺𝘰𝘶𝘳 𝘵𝘷 ???

She waited for a little, fearing the response. Olivia was a specialist in interfering with Dorothea's personal life, especially the romance chunk of it.

𝙊𝙡𝙡𝙮: 𝘰𝘮𝘨 𝘪𝘴 𝘪𝘵 𝘢 𝘨𝘪𝘳𝘭? 𝘪𝘴 𝘪𝘵 𝘨𝘳𝘢𝘤𝘪𝘦? 𝘖𝘔𝘎 𝘐𝘛𝘚 𝘎𝘙𝘈𝘊𝘐𝘌! 𝘢𝘳𝘦 𝘺'𝘢𝘭𝘭 𝘧𝘶𝘤𝘬𝘪𝘯𝘨?

Dorothea sighed and threw her phone away, watching it land on the carpet below her. She probably should've answered; she knew Olivia would hunt her down until she got the answer she wanted, or maybe even assume the answer, but she didn't want to answer Olivia's stupid question.

She looked down at Gracie and felt the corners of her mouth tug upwards into a small smile. She'd never felt so content before, not even with Leonora or Olivia. She loved them to pieces, and she'd go through hell for them, but the contentment she felt with Gracie was something they could never make her feel. It was different, good different.

Gracie woke up in a strange bed the following morning. The room was unfamiliar, but it was cozy and decorated to perfection. She looked around, trying to make sense of her surroundings through the sleepiness of her mind. Dorothea. Right. Of course she was at Dorothea's, that's where they went after the karaoke bar.

How she ended up in the incredibly comfortable bed she woke up in — now that was another story. Gracie got up and shuffled out the door and into the hallway. She had no idea where to go; she'd never been in Dorothea's apartment before.

She smiled as she turned the corner and saw Dorothea dancing around and humming to herself while cutting up what seemed to be strawberries — though Gracie couldn't be sure, her view was rather restricted.

"G'morning, Dory." Gracie hummed softly and leaned against the wall, looking at Dorothea with admiration glimmering in her eyes. The Bishop girl looked adorable as she stood there in her pink pyjama pants and fuzzy cat slippers. "Watcha makin'?"

Dorothea turned around, knife in hand, and eyes widened in surprise. When her eyes landed on Gracie, her features softened, and a small smile curled up on her lips. "Morning, Grace, I'm making a smoothie; want one? Did you sleep okay?"

"I slept amazing, thank you," Gracie grinned as she stepped closer to Dorothea and rested against the counter. "And sure, I could drink a smoothie, thanks."

The Abrams girl watched Dorothea blend the smoothie, although her focus seemed to shift quite a lot — Dorothea simply looked too precious with her excited little grin. She looked so happy as she stood there by the counter, looking at her — hopefully — delicious creation.

As Dorothea perfected the smoothie, Gracie felt her phone ding in her pocket.

She sighed at the notification portrayed at the bottom of her screen. It was Olivia, which usually wasn't a bad thing, but it was only 9:40 am, meaning that Olivia was early up and only functioning on minimum hours of sleep and a cup of coffee. Gracie was downright scared.

𝙇𝙞𝙫: 𝘰𝘮𝘨 𝘥𝘪𝘥 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘢 𝘩𝘰𝘰𝘬 𝘶𝘱 🤩

Gracie almost choked on her own saliva at the outrageous question she just witnessed. She knew Olivia was sleep deprived and high on caffeine, but thinking that anything even remotely sexual happened between her and Dorothea was absolutely insane.

𝙈𝙚: 𝘨𝘪𝘳𝘭 𝘞𝘏𝘈𝘛 𝘢𝘳𝘦 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘣𝘢𝘣𝘣𝘭𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘢𝘣𝘰𝘶𝘵 𝘳𝘯 🤨

Dorothea heard the gasp-like sound erupting from Gracie, and she turned to look at her, a brow raised in confusion and curiosity. "What was that noise?" She laughed and mocked the sound Gracie made.

"Olivia asked if we hooked up; that's so random," the Abrams girl chuckled, showing Dorothea the text from their mutual, strange friend. "She's honestly such a questionable character."

"Gotta love her for it." Dorothea agreed, her smile wide on her face.

Abby stopped by and picked up Gracie on her way to the mall, leaving Dorothea to her own devices. Her mind tugged at her, telling her to go do something productive — perhaps head to the grocery store or maybe go for a run. But her heart wanted something entirely different; her heart told her to take a break and give herself time to process these past couple of days.

But her heart was profusely confused.

Gracie had messed everything up, but in the best way possible. Dorothea felt herself questioning everything she once felt so secure about. Feelings she hadn't felt in many moons resurfaced, and it caused a big tangle of emotions, memories, and fears right in the core of her heart.

She felt so lost and so confused. Falling for straight girls was never optional, but falling for a straight girl like Gracie Abrams was a whole other level of pain.

She was doomed, wasn't she?

Author's Note
it's my birthday today so here's a birthday gift for you guys
sweet sixteen (I've been sobbing all day)

kiss kiss,
@hearthands