sixteen

. *.   IM ONLY 17 BUT I KNOW I MISS YOU
taylor swift

FOR ONCE in her life, Stella dreaded going to practice. She would rather walk barefoot in legos than meet his gaze at this moment. That's why she's had her head down since she stepped into the rink.

Jack didn't call, text, or make any attempt of contacting her since the other night and maybe that's her fault;she was harsh.

She refused to be the one to apologize first. Stella was not going to make a fool out of herself, not anymore. She had been so in her head she hadn't realized she was skating closer to the bench.

When a hard hand pressed against her waist, keeping her from ramming him into the boards, she felt the shutter in her spine.

Please. She turned around, silently praying it was anyone but the brunette.

"Watch where you're going, Stella." Matt rolled his eyes with a playful grin on his face. "Nearly gave me a concussion there."

"Sorry." She chuckled, biting her bottom lip. "I wasn't paying attention."

"All good." Matt nodded, attempting to skate past her but stopped as her arm grabbed his wrist, forcing him back in front of her. "Stella?"

Stella faltered. "I just wanted to say that I was sorry."

"What?" Matt was appalled as he stared at her with confusion. "What are you sorry for?"

"For everything." She rubbed her eyes with a headshake. "You were right about the whole Jack thing."

"Oh." He muttered, breathing deeply. "I'm sorry. I was just trying to look out for you, I never meant to start anything."

Stella reached for his hands, watching his eyes glance down at their contact, he only held her tighter. "You didn't. I really appreciate it, Bolds."

"Anytime." Matt nodded.

This time, she let go and let him skate back to his team. She could feel the eyes burning into her backside but she was too afraid to turn around.

She walked into the kitchenette, huffing as she opened the fridge, grabbing out the cold water bottle and pressing it to her forehead.

A jolt left her body as the door slammed shut, hearing the small groan leave his mouth. He paused completely once he laid eyes on her, scanning her in annoyance.

Being in a close space with him only made her fall deeper, and she had realized how much she was missing the fresh pine and mint smell engulfing her scent.

"Excuse me." She moved from the counter, peering at the door as he blocked her way out. She kept her eyes staring at the dark wood rather than him, anything would be easier than looking at him.

He moved to the side with silence, still looking at her until she left him, alone. She released a breath she hadn't realized she'd been holding as she reached the end of the hall, hearing the echos of voices as practice had concluded.

"Oh, Stella!" Cole hobbled over to her on his skate protectors. "I've been meaning to ask you something."

She cocked a brow in curiosity. "And what's that?"

"Are you busy tomorrow night?" He watched her part her lips to answer before cutting her off. "Great. I'm having a bonfire at my house. You have to come."

"What if I was busy?" Stella blinked, rolling her lips into her mouth.

"You would've canceled plans." Cole clicked his tongue with a confident grin.

Stella couldn't help but chuckle at him. "Sure, Coley, I'll make an appearance." She lowered her voice, glancing around. "Is he...."

"Yeah." Cole nodded before she could ask. "I'm trying to not make things awkward."

"That's alright." The dirty blonde shrugged. "It is what it is. I'll see you there."

Stella headed away from him, wanting to be as far away from hockey as possible.

Stella was not about to miss time with her own friends just because of him. For once, she was going to stand her ground, no matter how much it was going to hurt.

hii everyone
i'm going to start writing in first pov
really getting the emotion going here
bare with me 💘