Chapter 3

There are a number of absurd things that a woman has to deal with when she gets married, be it an arranged marriage or a love marriage. Marriage only binds you to new relationships aka responsibilities.

Although Poonam had many skills there was one thing she could never master. Cooking. To tell the truth, Poonam never had to cook. Her father was very particular about it. He pampered both his daughters so much that he wouldn't let them enter the kitchen and burn their skin in the process of making a meal. Practically, Poonam never even boiled herself an egg.

And now, when she's married, she has been handed out the kitchen and told to prepare something sweet. It's a custom in Indian families that the newlywed bride cooks something sweet for the whole family on her first day of marriage.

Her mother had informed her in-laws that she could not cook. Back then her mother-in-law had said that Poonam didn't have to know how to cook she would teach her to cook herself.

When Poonam almost believed that she was doomed as her mother-in-law was not going to teach her at all instead she would get jabbed with taunts for not knowing how to cook, the mother-in-law stepped into the kitchen.

"So, you really don't know how to cook?" The woman in her late fifties sighed, "How will you even cook my son a time's meal!" Poonam prepared herself as she thought more taunts were coming up. She quietly looked down at her toes waiting for the bitter jabs of words to rain. This is when what she heard almost surprised her, "Well, you gotta start from somewhere. Let's start with Halwa. My Rohit loves Badaam ka Halwa." The woman smiled warmly.

Poonam's face lit up instantly when she saw the smile on the face of her mother-in-law.

"Come on, now get to work. I'll give you the instructions, you just follow my instructions."

...

The breakfast table was a bunch of laughter. Rohit was an only child of his parents, they loved him immensely. Although his father was quite on the strict side, his mother pampered him endlessly. He also has an aunt, Aunty Veera, who's charming, sweet and a lot better understanding than Rohit's mum.

His dad and his aunt sat on one side of the table. When Rohit arrived at the dining area, Aunt Veera threw him a naughty smirk.

"Looks like someone had a good night's sleep!" Aunt Veera chimed.

"I was so tired from the events of the day that I couldn't even get up!" Rohit exhaled as he grabbed a chair to sit on.

"Events of the day, huh?" The two cousins of Rohit who sat opposite Veera and Rohit's father exchanged glances.

"Poonam must be tired too and the poor thing is having to cook for all of us." Veera made a sad face.

"What? Why?!" Rohit seemed shocked to hear the information.

"What do you mean by why? She's your wife, the daughter-in-law of this household! Why wouldn't she cook for her family? It's her duty!" Aunt Veera liked teasing her nephew. There was nothing more funny than his pissed-off face.

"No... I mean, it's her first day... Would you want her to busk in the kitchen on her very first day in this household?" Rohit cried, "What I mean is... Poonam still needs time to blend in, don't you think?"

"I see... you have already started to talk on behalf of your wife, huh?" Said his mother. With a container in her hands, Poonam followed behind the older lady, "Poonam, go and serve the dessert in small bowls and give them to everyone." She directed to Poonam, to which Poonam slightly nodded and started toward the other side of the table where the bowls were placed.

"Let me help!" Rohit jumped on his spot and immediately stood up and was about to reach out to his wife to assist her in the task when his mother rebuked him.

"Stay where you are!"

"But, Maa...!"

"Rohit...!" His mum warned.

"It's fine. I'm almost done." Poonam said with a smile. Her eyes briefly shone as she looked at Rohit's bothered face. Would a woman not like to see her husband being all considerate for her?

Poonam placed the first bowl of Halwa that was topped with lots of extra dry fruit before Rohit. The latter stared at the bowl and then looked up at his wife. A sweet smile on her lips. With his eyes glinting like an excited kid, Rohit smiled widely.

The giddy look on his face did not go unnoticed by the people around them, nor could they overlook the special little gesture that his wife made toward him. And then all engulfed in having the dessert prepared by the bride.

"Beta, this wasn't really needed..." spoke Rohit's father whilst he received a warning glance from his wife but he continued anyway, "Still, you have done a good job. The Halwa is very yummy!"

"Yes, I agree!" Veera chimed in, "And I have a gift for you for making us such delicious Halwa!" Veera fished out an envelope.

"I have something for you too!" Rohit's father stood up, "This is on behalf of me and your mother." He fished out a box out of nowhere and handed it out to Poonam. "Take a look." Rohit's father encouraged Poonam to open the box.

Wearing a shy smile, Poonam flipped the lid to find two gold bangles. They were beautifully carved with gorgeous patterns that looked delicate on the ornament.

"These are very pretty. Thank you." Poonam said to her father-in-law.

"Bhaiya, this is not fair! You didn't even let her take a look at my gift!" Veera whined making the others chuckle.

"She can open it now!"

Veera pursed her lips, "Open it up, Poonam." Poonam opened the envelope to find tickets for Shimla, "This is for your honeymoon trip!" Veera chimed excitedly.

Poonam and Rohit exchanged a brief look. None of them had expected to get such a gift. These two didn't even have any of this in their minds.