Addiction is Black

Somewhere in the deep sea of reality and lies is a word called trust

Somewhere in the deep sea of reality and lies is a word called trust. Funny thing, people want people to trust them but they never want to trust others. It can be scary to trust yourself with others, after all, sometimes, a simple naive trust in the wrong person could lead you to your demise.

Detective Marcel was an independent man. He had always known not to trust others and that morale only strengthed once he entered the police force. The world was filthy, who to trust, who to not?

But a man was allowed to have desires. The problem started only after the desires lost to sense.

"Thank you," Alex said politely to a waitress as she handed him a glass of champagne.

His dear friend had left him with the national goddess and the source of his unrequited desire in this dimly lit corner of the unnecessarily large room.

Alex had first seen Rose on TV when his son was skimming through movies to watch, that was a couple of years ago. He wouldn't call himself a fan. He was more like an admirer, who just really adored the piece of art that was Rose Veretta.

As of the current situation, sitting only a handspan away from her, he could fully enjoy her long silky black hair, the dip of her smooth neck, and the supple bosom beneath stretched temptingly in the equally beautiful silver fabric.

She was devastatingly gorgeous, on and off camera. Alex wondered if she was really a human or Aphrodite in disguise, venturing among mortals, enjoying their petty eyes fawning over her divineness. But maybe Psyche suited her more. She was delicate like butterfly wings and also an object of jealousy for many already successful people. 

"Are you enjoying yourself?" Rose's velvety voice pierced through everything else going on in his mind. Alex immediately looked up to meet her eyes which were scanning the crowd with a peaceful expression. He heaved a silent sigh of relief.

"I beg your pardon?" Alex wasn't an actor, but being in this profession, he had learned how to play innocent even if you weren't.

Rose smiled, pulling her eyes away from the people and meeting his. "This atmosphere can be overwhelming sometimes. But you kind of get used to it once you begin blending in. You might even like it at some point when it gets too loud inside your head."

Alex blinked and blinked again. Rose Veretta was talking to him! And she had said something nice. She was definitely not like these obnoxious people who only ever talked about their million-dollar pets and bitch about the shooting conditions.

"I-It's alright. At least I have the best company."

Now he had done it.

Contrary to all his thoughts, Rose laughed gently, "Careful detective, your little crush on me is visible."

Alex blushed and looked down, so she had noticed after all. Women were truly the best of detectives.

He gulped and looked up back to meet her midnight blue eyes, "I apo-"